2- and 4-strokes and the EPA

Leviathan

Registered Member
City
Arlington
Does anyone know whether it is better to get a 4-stroke engine on your new boat these days, given possible bans on 2-strokes, better performance, etc? Is the govt going to ban 2-strokes at some point? Looks like the new '09s are getting 4-strokes on them. Thanks

2-stroke vs 4-stroke

As it stands right now, there will not be any arbitrary ban on 2-stroke outboard engines in the next few years. As long as the engine meets all applicable EPA and safety standards, it will be legal to sell. That being said, small 2-stroke engines are getting harder to find new. It has just become un-economical to manufacture dual product lines in the 2-50 hp range. There is still a weight advantage to a 2-stroke, and a fuel-savings advantage to a 4-stroke. up to you which way you go.

2 vs 4

Hi L,

I put a two stroke on my boat because I wanted the least amount of weight on the transom. According to the performance bulletin on the Yamaha web site, a four stroke 75 would get 7.2 mpg @ 4000 RPM while my two stroke 70 would get 6.4 mpg at 4000 RPM. At WOT, the four stroke gets 5.27 mpg vs. 4.88 for my two stroke.

The difference isn't much, but, when you take the extra mpg over a full 21 gallon fuel tank, you may add another 20 - 25 nautical miles under your belt.

Since I cruise in a small boat, I would not try long distance cruising anyway so, the extra fuel efficiency is not important.

There are other costs associated with 2 vs 4 stroke. As you know, 2 strokes require oil to burn where 4 strokes don't. However, you do have to change the oil in a 4 stroke. PA would know the annual service schedule on a 4 stroke and could give you a cost comparison.

Keep researching. :)

Back