A note about the oiler for Yamaha 2-strokes that I learned the hard way

luckydude

Registered Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
State
CA
I've got a Triumph 215 CC T-top powered with a 2005 Yamaha 2.6L V6 carbed 2 stroker. I'm a new owner, and I'm in the process of making the engine reliable.

The first problem is the oiler didn't work. For those that don't know, there is a maybe 2 gallon reserve with a float switch and an oil pump. The pump sends oil to
a much smaller oil holder mounted to the side of the engine; it also has a float switch.

I pulled the pump, hooked it to 12 volt, no pumpy. So I buy a new pump and install it. Drain the small tank back into the big tank. No pumpy. Try the manual override, it pumps just fine.

Here's where I went wrong. I checked the float switches and figured out that they were working. So that left (I thought) the computer that gets all this info and decides to pump or not. It's a sealed unit, $1200 new. Screw that, I bought one off ebay for $200 that had a 30 day return policy.

Put it in, no pumpy.

I'm looking at the main reserve, it's got two lines on it, the bottom line is maybe a third of the way down and the oil level is just barely below that. No way, says me, no way would they not pump when you have 2/3rds of a tank left. But I filled it up and guess what? Pumpy.

I could understand them doing that at the halfway point, if you aren't filling your oil and you go way off shore and you hit half way, then you need the rest of the tank to get back home.

Anyway, if you 2 stroker isn't getting oil, don't be an idiot like me, fill your oil tank first.

Back