Completed Maintenance on my 150 Yamaha

boostjunkie1

Contributing Member
City
Lexington
I just got done with changing out the Gear Oil / Engine Oil / Fuel Water Separator on my 190 Bay with Yammi 150 HP 4-STRK....... Easy as Pie. The only difficult thing was getting the spilled oil from the oil filter out of the bottom of the Motor Case. I did see where there is a drain hole that the oil went down through :confused:...... This should have been a hole that vented out through a line so that you can catch it. It water proofed the lower left side of the engine. I did not have a regular pump for the oil so I used my lower end gear oil pump. Worked great! I tilted the engine a little at the end and got the rest of the old out. ** I did find that the terminals on my battery were corroded a little and would not allow the engine to fire at first. I cleaned them off and she fired right up!!!!!! Ready for another season..... :)

Just went back in and installed a new Fuel Pump Bubble and new Spark Plugs..... I checked all of the bolts. Ran the engine for 5 minutes on water and looked for any leaks. Found None. I actually had a little to much oil in her from the oil change. I loosened the drain bolt on the rear of the engine and out came the new oil :(.... I have read and found on You Tube that Yamahas really like the oil to show 3/4 the way up the dip stick. I had it up to right at the line of H = High..... The spark plugs that I removed were black so I went to David Fritts Outdoors (They sell Triumphs now :cool:) and got some new NGKs...... All work was really easy...... I cannot see where anyone would want to take there boat to the dealer and pay crazy amounts of money to have there motors maintenance done. Large repairs YES...General Maintenance NO....

Maint.

I still have 4 years of warranty left at about $450 per 100 hr maintenance service. I Really don't want to mess that up. Good job on yours though!

I still have 4 years of warranty left at about $450 per 100 hr maintenance service. I Really don't want to mess that up. Good job on yours though!

I have 5 Years remaining on mine and as long as I keep the receipts for the oil/filters/plugs there is no reason to have a Warranty Issue through Yamaha......You spend $325 more per each 100 hour Service..... And have to wait for the shop to have a open slot to get you in......:eek:...I wish I had your paitence....I'm just a hands on type anyway. I just do not have a shop close enough that I trust with my engine. If I have a larger issue I will be going to Merritt Marine because Chad and the Gang will take care of the Yammie with no worry from me ;)

MAint.

I'm figuring you have a shop or after market manual. If it's aftermarket,is there one publisher you prefer? I haven't found one yet for mine. I haven't wanted to spend the money on the factory one but yeah I know it's worth it. I will be doing the maint later, (maybe sooner at these costs), but I believe your correct about saving the reciepts for the warranty coverage to be protected. Haven't been out much lately to think about boat stuff, i'm on my second bout of pnuemonia in 3 months. I will persevere because my 170 is depending on me!

I hope you get to feeling better very soon Bill. I remember about 3 years ago when I had back surgery. All I could do was look out the window at my 215 sitting in the driveway. Putting her in the water was a real treat after recovering. :)

maint.

Know exactly what you mean about looking out the window at the boat! I had total hip replacement in March and couldn't wait to get out. Been out three times since though!!

I broke down and bought a shop manual. They sure are proud of them! But I guess it's worth it.

Biff,
I hope you get well soon so you can get out on that 170CC and feel the wind on your face. I know you miss it.
John D.

Actually you can go on You Tube and look for Yamaha Maintenance Video's. There are a couple that show the basics on these engines. Once the Warranty is up I will have to get the Genuine Yamaha Shop Manual.... Good Luck with your sickness.....;)

thanks

I appreciate all the good wishes, Thanks folks.

Hey boost, I don't know if doing the PMS work on your engine will fly with Yamaha. Was that your 100 hour you did?

Everywhere I look, Yamaha specifically says the maintenance needs to be done by a "Certified Yamaha Technician". They even want his/her Tech ID and Shop ID numbers listed on that little card they sent us with the Y.E.S. Program information.

I would LOVE to do the maintenance myself because I am pretty broke at the moment (without job) and have time on my hands...but not at the risk of screwing up my warranty.

Any Yamaha tech's want to chime in?

Yes....It does say in the Manual that anyone can perform the general maintenance on the Engines as long as you have the proper tools. This means oil changes, lower end oil, and fuel filters. The T-Stats and sacrificial anodes inside the engine should be changed out by a certified Tech. David Fritts Outdoors has a Certified Technician that is looking at the boat today and tomorrow. I believe that I had the air leak figured out but still took it to them to make sure. Thanks, Boost

Back