Yamaha Engine maintenance

Davekfl

Participating Member
City
Bradenton
I recently took my 2004 170 Bass with 60 HP 4 stroke engine ( Yamaha) for the 10hr engine service. All they did was change the engine oil and filter and change the lower unit fluid. The Yamaha manual states that the engine oil should be changed every 6 months and filter every year. I dont mind taking my engine in for service but paying someone $85 an hour to change fluids is a bit much. Are other Yamaha owners doing these maintenance items themselves and if so what schedule are they using? The Yamaha manual I have states that changing the oil filter is a dealer item. I dont know why... it seems a simple task and I would think that the filter should be changed every time the oil is changed similar to a car. Also what schedule are they using for the water pump impeller? In my case this is definitely a dealer item.
Does someone have a source for Yamaha parts such as oil filter, oil, lube, grease. Do these items have to be Yamaha products?
Thanks in advance
Dave K ( Sarasota, FL )

Your right on the cost OUT RAGEOUS!!! I have the merc, When i took her in for her 100 hour chewck up....$250 + OUCH. I plan to keep her on maintenance schedule through a dealer, just untill the warrenty is up, then I will do all maintenace.

Davekfl said:
I recently took my 2004 170 Bass with 60 HP 4 stroke engine ( Yamaha) for the 10hr engine service. All they did was change the engine oil and filter and change the lower unit fluid. The Yamaha manual states that the engine oil should be changed every 6 months and filter every year. I dont mind taking my engine in for service but paying someone $85 an hour to change fluids is a bit much. Are other Yamaha owners doing these maintenance items themselves and if so what schedule are they using? The Yamaha manual I have states that changing the oil filter is a dealer item. I dont know why... it seems a simple task and I would think that the filter should be changed every time the oil is changed similar to a car. Also what schedule are they using for the water pump impeller? In my case this is definitely a dealer item.
Does someone have a source for Yamaha parts such as oil filter, oil, lube, grease. Do these items have to be Yamaha products?
Thanks in advance
Dave K ( Sarasota, FL )

Have you asked your dealer if you can do it yourself? There is a local Honda guy that is always helpful when I call with questions. Then I make sure I go to him to buy my parts. He charges a little more for the parts than can be had on the net, but you can't beat having someone to call in a pinch.

Otherwise, go to the Yami forum here...

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl/YaBB.pl

This guy is really helpful and as nice as they come.

Ive got a 115 yamaha 4 stroke.
I have a personal friend that works for Yamaha's marine div. he told me change the oil once a year (weekend usage).
Ive always change the oil on my trucks and changing the oil on the Yamaha is easier than ya think.

Tilt the engine up and remove the drain plug.
Take a long transmission funnel & bucket.
Tilt the engine down, using the funnel the guide the oil into the bucket.
Remove / Replace the oil filter.
Install the drain plug and fill w/ oil.
Check oil level.
Done.

I would asume the same for a merc?? sounds like it could get messy, what about the plugs, and carb adjustment they recommend every year??

Dave,
Heartland is a Yamaha dealer and not that far of a drag for you. Call them (or use the online service request form) and ask for Kel or John and tell them Dave sent you. If they lower your bill thank me, if they double it blame them ;)

Seriously though Dave the guys will take good care of you and Heartland is one of those hard to find Triumph Master Dealers...

Enjoy!

Dave,
I also have an 04 Yamaha 60hp 4 stroke. The only maintenance that I had the dealer do was my 10 hour service. I've done everything else myself. It's real easy, because I am not a mecanical genius. The first thing I would do if you haven't is to install an hour meter. Then just follow the maintenance chart on page 4-9 in the owner's manual. If you would feel more comfortable buy the yamaha engine manual from your dealer which gives you more detailed info. I don't have one. I change the oil and filter every 100 hours or once a year. Same with the lower unit oil.(Get new gaskets for your lower unit screws and change each time). I also change the spark plugs each year. I buy them from Auto Zone for about $1.80 each and gap them correctly. When you change the oil, tilt the motor all the way up and hold a container (I use quart jars that had spaghetti sauce in them) under the spout and lower the motor with the tilt switch until it's almost full and then tilt the motor up to cut off the flow. I buy the oils and filters from a Yamaha dealer and save the receipts to show that I did the maintenance. When you change the filter put paper towels, old rags, and plenty of them under the filter because it still has oil in it. That's probably the reason they suggest that the dealer change it. If you are slow removing it you will spill some oil.(You will need a very small oil filter wrench). If you have never changed the lower unit oil in an engine, buy an extra tube of gear oil because you will probably spill some. It's better to have someone that's done it before to show you the first time. The 60hp takes more than one tube; switching over to the second tube with only "two hands" is the hard part. Again, I buy all Yamaha parts and oils. You do not use very much with the 60hp motor, so the cost is not a problem. All that is left is changing the water separator filter, (if you don't have one, get one) just unscrew the old one,fill the new one with clean fuel and screw it back on. Then squirt some grease in all the fittings and you are ready for another season for about $25.00. I will have the dealer change my timing belt and my water pump when it's time. I hope this helps, Dave.
John D.

Back