yamaha fuel/water separator

Davekfl

Participating Member
City
Bradenton
I have a 170 bass with a 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha ( 2004). With all this talk about ethanol
I am going to install a fuel/water separator real quick. I got a price for a Yamaha kit with
housing and one 10 micron filter for $52 ( not installed ) at a local marina. The Yamaha filter is supposed to be extra long and is supposed to do a better job filtering ( per a seminar I attended at this dealer). Is this a good price or can someone give me a better source. I really dont know if the Yamaha product is any better.
Thanks in advance
Dave K ( Sarasota , Florida)

Davekfl said:
I have a 170 bass with a 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha ( 2004). With all this talk about ethanol
I am going to install a fuel/water separator real quick. I got a price for a Yamaha kit with
housing and one 10 micron filter for $52 ( not installed ) at a local marina. The Yamaha filter is supposed to be extra long and is supposed to do a better job filtering ( per a seminar I attended at this dealer). Is this a good price or can someone give me a better source. I really dont know if the Yamaha product is any better.
Thanks in advance
Dave K ( Sarasota , Florida)

Dave,
That is a good price as long as it does the job. If you dealer recommends it then it should do fine. I ordered mine from West Marine, it was about $25 more.

The I guess the 10 mic 90 gal an hr Yamaha fuel water seperator I can get at a local marina for $45 must be a good deal.. also the parts guy said with a larger motor like my 150 hpdi to get no less than 90 gal an hour fuel flow

I took it one step further using the Yamaha kit and using a Racor filter with a clear bowl for the water to collect in. This should allow visually checking to see if this water in the fuel is actually a problem.

By the way, I used 2 1/4"x 1 1/2" long stainless lag bolts screwed into the back storage area on my 190 to hold this thing..it's a bit heavy. I tried to be very careful not to overtighten these, I hope they hold....

I will try to post a picture if there is interest....

Trasbeck,
It would be great if you could post a pic... Im not sure how to do the install and could use a visual to get started.
Thanks!!
Joe

I used the Racor filter with clear bowl as well. I was a bit hesitant at first but it was really very simple. The hardest part was figuring out where to put it in my 170CC without losing storage space and still having access to it to change the filter and check the bowl for water. Finally decided to use the port side compartment under the rear seat. I added about five feet of fuel line to mine so I could locate it away from the battery compartment (thinking sparks and fuel vapor not being a good mix) and routed the fuel line around the storage compartment. I've already taken the pictures...will try to upload them tonight.

Cagrove,

Did you have any problem with getting fuel past the new filter? I can't get fuel to pump from the bulb (squeezing it disconnected from motor). The separator is installed before the bulb. I suspect a bad check valve inside the bulb because it won't stay collapsed when I hold a finger over the end towards the tank ( bulb removed from both ends of fuel line.
Do we even need these primers on fuel injected engines?

trasbeck said:
Cagrove,

Did you have any problem with getting fuel past the new filter? I can't get fuel to pump from the bulb (squeezing it disconnected from motor). The separator is installed before the bulb. I suspect a bad check valve inside the bulb because it won't stay collapsed when I hold a finger over the end towards the tank ( bulb removed from both ends of fuel line.
Do we even need these primers on fuel injected engines?

Trasbeck,
Before I screwed the filter on I filled the filter and bowl with gas from a gas can. I then connected everything and primed the bulb until it got firm (which was a lot quicker than I thought it would be). Then next day I took it out for a test run and everything worked great. You are more than likely correct to suspect the check valve...that's an easy fix. As for the need for the bulb, I know that when I forget to prime before starting the engine it takes a lot more cranking to get it going than when I prime the bulb first. I guess that's why it's there.

Anyone pulling out any water yet????

Got the Suzuki/Racor fuel-water separator www.brownspoint.com . It has no fuel line barbs....guess I will have to buy them separate. Also came with 3 brass plugs. No directions. Two sets of intakes and outlets plus one on the top. So guess I'll select an arrow in and an arrow out, plug the others with brass plugs and plumber's dope, ss worm clamp and mount in the splashwell.
Haven't seen a pic yet but seems easy enough.

After a bunch of reading, seems like we should avoid mixing any regular gas and ethonol blend since it may clog all filters rapidly.

Also, shelf life of E-10 is short....so use a non-ethanol based fuel stabilizer all the time along with the fuel/water separator and fill up with fresh gas just before using the boat verses keeping it topped off.

http://www.burrbros.com/fuel.doc

Well, installed Suzuki/Racor large fuel-water separator with the clear bowl on the bottom. Went ahead and replaced the pump bulb and gas hose to motor. Had to purchase 3 ss 3/8 small ss worm clamps, a 3/8" straight fuel hose barb and a 5/16" straight one to go to the motor(Quicksilver/Mercury). Used teflon "paste" since tape not rec with fuel to prevent corrosion of brass hardware into aluminum cannister mount. Filled filter/bowl assembly with gas and attached, cranked up the motor pump the bulb firm and done.

PITA mounting the thing, though. Ended up on the starboard wall of the splashwell. Real tight as far as room when draining the bowl but I can live with it.

Just hope it all works to counteract all the bad that's coming with E-10.

admin.php

admin.php

Last edited by a moderator:
That should help Emery :)
Now I have always had one of these and my Honda 150 also has a "water in the fuel" sensor that gives me a alert of such on my digital gauges. I though mounted mine inside under the starboard rear casting deck to help keep the salt spray off of it which you may want to consider also, for it may make it easier to remove the filter element months or even years from now ;)

I just put the cover back on the boat yesterday (perfect timing) but I should it it back off later this week and I will grab you a picture then :)

Nope and I believe I have a picture posted of them in the 190 mod section, but I have the 2 ship service / start batteries in the console to get some weight forward... Also remember I have dry cell batteries so I have no venting worries and as such, do not worry about all that wiring getting slowly eaten alive from battery acid... Have not forgotten about you with the filter picture though Emery, just have not had the cover off the boat since my last posting on this subject thread ;)

I think it wouldn't be wise for me to relocate since I have two HD Everstarts in the strarboard rear deck and need to keep fuel source out of there. Thanks for the idea, though.
Molar

MolarBoater said:
How bout a picture of that setup, Puter?

Here you go Emery and I would still consider moving your batteries into boxes and inside the console (get that weight forward) and putting yours here also ;)

admin.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Back