Fuel/Water Separator filter

S

sandycove

Has anyone replaced / drained one of these Yamaha filters?

I tried to attach a couple of pics of my fuel / water separator filter with this email.

I removed the battery, but it doesn't look like I can remove the filter easily. I may have to remove the rear seat assembly to access it.

I am not even sure if this filter type twists off like an oil filter? Also not sure if I have to pinch off the gas supply going into the filter assembly so I don't have a gas spill while doing this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sandycove

Attachments

• fuel_water separator 10.jpg
    fuel_water separator 10.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 46
  • fuel_water separator 20.jpg
    fuel_water separator 20.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 44
Has anyone replaced / drained one of these Yamaha filters?

I tried to attach a couple of pics of my fuel / water separator filter with this email.

I removed the battery, but it doesn't look like I can remove the filter easily. I may have to remove the rear seat assembly to access it.

I am not even sure if this filter type twists off like an oil filter? Also not sure if I have to pinch off the gas supply going into the filter assembly so I don't have a gas spill while doing this.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sandycove

• Yes
  • Can only see the top of it.
  • I took out both of the lower parts of the rear seats to give me better access to those compartments since mine we rarely use.
  • Spray with the penetraint oil of your choice at the top and let set for some time to help break free any rust bonding. Then hold the filer mounting with one hand while using a strap wrench to loosen up the canister just like a oil filter.
  • I would just use a pair of vise grips to gently pinch off the fuel supply hose until you swap put the filter canister. I also recommend getting one that has a water bowl that you can drain off IF you have the space below the housing for such?

Putershark:

Thanks for your quick reply.

Do you have to remove the rear seat cushion before removing the seating assembly? Any advice in removing the seating assembly would be much appreciated.

I am winterizing my 190 bay for the first time by myself.

Thanks again,

Sandycove

Most Welcome,
190 rear seats changed in design I suspect around 06 or 07? As such on my 04 all I had to do was unscrew the bottoms on mine to allow for greater access ;)

Nice place to put a filter...

I've replaced the filter on my 170cc. The filter unscrews like an oil filter, however, it sticks on the mount better than an oil filter. I used an oil filter wrench to remove it, but, it was tough. The gas swells the gasket (o-ring) so it sticks.

I did not have any fuel leak when changing the filter, but, there is fuel in the filter which can spill. Also, the Yamaha suggest filling the new filter with fuel so you don't have to pump the bulb so much.

From your photos, I don't see much room to maneuver your arms much. :eek: Good luck.

Better pic of fuel / water separator

Hey guys, thanks for your input. I took a better picture of the filter today and I do have a little more room to work with then once thought. Maybe I'll first try to squeeze my hands in there and replace the filter without having to remove the rear seat assembly.

Thanks again!

Sandycove

Attachments

• IMG_0344_1.jpg
    IMG_0344_1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 42
sandycove,
Put some paper towels or rags beneath the filter before you unscrew it.You will spill some because it is usually full. I use a strap wrench to loosen mine and then refill the new filter like Barry stated before you screw the new filter on .That blue filter is a Yamaha filter and a very good one from all of the info I've read on it. It is recommended to change it every 50 hours or 6 months. I change mine as specified and it is easy to get it off and on even in a tight spot. You should not have to crimp your fuel line. It will not leak after you remove the filter. Good luck.
John D.

Just a quick added note. Remember, it's the vapor, not the liquid, that is explosive. Leave the compartment open after you change the filter to ventilate away all the vapors. :D

Fuel / Water Separator Filter Part #

I just picked up the Yamaha filter today, part # MAR-FUELF-IL-TR / 90 gph / 10 micron. I found the right size filter wrench in my garage today and now ready to replace it. I should get a break in the weather here in a couple of days to take care of it.

BTW: The yamaha service shop rep told me that after I replaced the filter, I could prime it by using the prime bulb. I guess either way is good; filling it first with gas before installing or using the prime bulb to fill it up with gas after installing it. I think I'll try just priming it with the bulb first just to see how long it takes to fill up the filter. Also I can make sure the darn thing doesn't leak.

All of your help was much appreciated,

Sandycove

Just to let you know.... I had a issue with the fuel priming after I replaced my fuel filter. The lines from the factory are a little long and had to be kept up above the fuel tank after I replaced my first fuel filter. Make sure that there is no gasket remaining on the surface that will be sealing. You will have to run the motor to get the air out of the system. If there is allot of air in the system you will have to bleed off the fuel rail at the back right of the motor. This is easily done with a flat head screw driver at the center bleed port on the fuel rail. Good Luck

Sandycove,
It is a lot easier to fill the filter first before replacing the filter.That way you know its full and just a couple of pumps on the primer bulb and its ready to go.Works better for me that way.Good luck.

Fuel / Water Separator Filter

I got a break in the weather the other day and replaced the filter.

I took your advice and filled up the new filter with gas before I installed it. Also I took the advice of another member and removed the lower seat cushion and support plate for better access ( only 5 screws to remove, 1 for seat cushion and 4 for the plate ). I only had a small amount of gas that came out along the side of the filter when I removed it.

Its nice to know that you have Triumph Boat Owners in this network that are willing to help out newbies like myself!

Sandycove

Glad to help...

We're one big happy family.

Back