Which Racor for F60.

Mud Runner

Participating Member
I can't seem to find what the requirements are for the F60 as far as GPH goes. I've used a 30 gph on a 125 Merc two stroke with no ill effects. Racor's website doesn't provide the micron rating for the smaller fuel/water separator filters. I want to stick to a 10 micron filter. I just changed the filter on our work boat and it had about 1/2 inch of crud in it. I guess this is the result of ethanol in our old tank. I couldn't believe it. I wish I had saved it and taken a picture to post. Thanks for the help.

Carlos

Not to knock Racor and I have used many of them on larger boats / battle-wagons (both civilian and Military) with diesel's. I would feel safer getting and installing one from the maker of your engine. Brother Cincy ran into all kind of trouble on his 190 when his Honda injectors could not digest some sealing compound that the filter builder had used and the fuel (I suspect) melted chunks of that sealant compound and sent it into his fuel injected engine (yuck) :mad:

If I remember the story correct, he got very lucky :rolleyes: and the filter manufacturer paid him back for all the engine repairs (parts and labor I believe) which were not cheep from what I recall... Now I have Honda Marine filter (with the clear drain bowl) on my Honda 150 and if yours is a Yamaha, I would just stick with their factory tested unit... I would just make sure it also has the clear drain bowl so you can see if it has any junk floating around in it...

By having a OEM part and installed by the dealer (good insurance) IF something were to happen you are much better covered warranty wise, this even though I suspect that many of the "so called" OEM units are in fact, made by Racor ;) Just less risk for a very expensive engine you know :)

I have a Suzuki DF140 and use a large Suzuki fuel/water separator. It is made by Racor which I would suspect makes some "other" OEM filters as well. I went with the Suzuki/Racor just to be on the safe side. If you have a large vs small option like I did, it was rec that 140 and below would be ok with small but didn't want to potentially starve a motor right on the limit. Check a few different sites to see if they clarify hp ratings with filter sizes for Yamaha.

Thank you both for the input. I run large Racors on my twin F225's. The F60's are on five 170CC's, so I need five complete sets and my boss is ( well let's leave that unsaid). I will price the Yamaha equivilent. I was curious to find out what the F60's draw(GPH) at full throttle.

Back