Yamaha Oil Filter

Davekfl

Participating Member
City
Bradenton
Since I dont have a Yamaha dealer near me, I went to Boaters World to find a Yamaha oil filter for my 60hp 4 stroke ( 2004). They had a Fram oil filter that was listed in their Fram catalog as a replacement. Fram PH6017A for $9.99.
Wal-Mart has the same filter in their motorcycle section for $6.74. Apparently Yamaha uses the same filter for all of their small 4 stroke engines
( motorcycle, atv, outboard).
The question is ... should I be leery about using a non Yamaha oil filter as far as warranty? I know that the Yamaha oil filter is a lot more than $6.74.
Am I shooting myself in the foot to save a few dollars?!
Wal-Mart also had a Mercury Quicksilver oil filter that would also fit the Yamaha for $7.86.
What do you think?

Dave,
You have many boat dealers in Sarasota that carry Yamaha engines matter of fact, Cannon's Marina on Longboat pass has got to be one of the nicest Yamaha "only" dealers http://www.cannons.com/ I have ever visited and a first class operation. I am quite sure Brother Vic knows of some more Yamaha dealers in that area so hopefully he will chime in on this one also :D

As far as using a (so called) aftermarket filter on your engine I would not... Even though you and I both know Fram or Purolator makes and "paints" the majority of all filters made "IF" you have a seal or filter failure and you loose an engine :eek: It would be easier to run through a mine field with snow shoes on, than to get and aftermarket maker or Wal-Mart to pay for an engine replacement. Cheap insurance to spend the extra dollars to have a OEM filter on it "if" it does fail for that peace of mind in my opinion, and even more so while in the warranty period.

So I say get it at Cannon's (you will enjoy the drive and the view anyway) and take it back there if something does go south on it unless Vic has another recomendation ;)

OK Dave, I will chime in.

We take our 210 CC with its F150 Yamaha to:
Marine Outlet Center, Inc.
5701 Sarah Ave
Sarasota, FL 34233
(941) 921-7070
http://www.marineoutletcenter.com

The owner has told me of only one requirement that he insists on. He refuses to work on a dirty boat or a dirty motor. I think he reasons that if someone does not care enough about his boat and motor to keep it clean, then they probably do not worry too much about maintenance.

As to their prices, when we first started shopping for a place to take care of our Yamaha, they were the cheapest of all the "Five Star Certified" on the Yamaha web site that were close to us. We really did not want to travel to Tampa or Fort Myers, and while price was a consideration, the folks we met at Marine Outlet Center were great to work with. Prices have increased since our first visit, but not much.

I have also heard that Cannon's does excellent work, but have no first hand experience. I also agree with Putershark, you will enjoy the drive and view to Cannon's.

Hope this helps.

Putershark, OspreyVic
Since my thanks button doesnt work, thank you both for your input.
davekfl

Back