New 170CC Owner - Thanks for all the info

jmuduke

Registered Member
City
Springfield
I picked up my new 170 CC from the dealer a couple of weeks ago. I have only had her on the water once so far but it was totally awesome. I am a bass boat convert and am going to love the ability to fish salt and handle rough water better. She is pretty well decked out with a Yamaha 70 2-stroke, bimini top, swim ladder, 2 Eagle color fish finders, back jumpseats and a 54 Pound Wireless Minn Kota salt water trolling motor. Thanks to everyone who has posted on this site. I spent days taking in all the great information before I made my choice. Special thanks to Cargrove who gave me excellent help in answering some questions about set up and performance. Look forward to reading the board every day.

2 stroke over 4 stroke

jmuduke, sounds like a great rig. Almost identical to the '02 model I own. Just curious, how did you arrive at the 70 hp 2 stroke? I have one, but when I purchased mine I thought the 4 stroke technology still had some growing to do. I guess I'm one of those who preferrs to let the new models get a little age and hopefully identify and correct potential problems with initial production. Now days I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 4 stroke. only potential problems I see are with the weight of the unit but that can be over come with proper power. So what made you buy a two stroke over a four stroke?

Inquiring minds want to know.

JMUDuke,
Where will you be using your new 170CC? I'm kinda assuming that you're from somewhere in the Shenandoah Valley or central Virginia. Have you tried Lake Anna? It's a really good bass and striper lake. I also have a new 170CC and plan to try Lake Anna for fresh water and the Rappahannock for salt water fishing. By the way, I opted for the 60 Evinrude E-Tec and am totally satisfied with it

Thanks for the welcome !! I plan in using my boat mainly on the Potomac out of Leesylvania. I used to live in Spotsylvania about 20 minutes from Lake Anna and have fished the lake numerous times. Great Striper and Crappie fishing !!! I broke in my motor on the lake a few weeks ago.

As for the 2 stroke, I was trying to get as much HP as possible. My dealer would not install a 75 4-stroke (too heavy) and I am a big guy (about 300) and wanted to make sure I was able to get up on plane with me and all the stuff I carry on the boat. The Yamaha 70 2 stroke has been around forever and is pretty much bullet proof from the research I did. They also have a commercial lower end vs the 4-stroke and I am able to spin a bigger prop. I added the doel fin and she pops up on plane. The 70-stroke is very hard to find these days and I don't mind the extra noise and a little smoke. It also saved me $1,000 over the 60 4-stroke.

One thing I would mention is that the tack came set from the factory for a 4 stroke engine and would only register about 50%. I knew something was wrong when I was runiing 30 MPH at 2K. I had to pull the dash and set the jumper on the tack from position 5 to position 2. It reads fine now, just thought I would mention it if anyone goes with the 2-stroke and the dealer does not catch it.

jmuduke, I had the same sort of logic when I bought my 2 stroke. The motor has been around for years and the bugs are out so to speak. I had the same problem with my tach upon initial purchase. Took me a while tyo figure out what was up but eventually did. Good luck with the new ride. I'm sure y0ou'll love it as we all do.

JT

Back