New Triumph Owner and Forum Member

Thfireman

Participating Member
City
Charlotte
Hello,

My Name is Roger and I am a boat a holic. I have had boats most of my adult life but most were small and only one was new until now. I just bought a Triumph 195DC. I originally wanted a CC but I had to consider my Family and Friends so I went for a boat that had more comfort and room but I can still fish fresh and salt water.

I mainly boat in local lakes around the Charlotte area but about 2 times a year I head for the coast. I still have tons to learn about fishin the coast and where to go so maybe this forum will help.

Anyway I just wanted to say hello and thanks for letting me be part of your community here.

Roger
Charlotte, NC

Welcome aboard Roger. Congratulations on the 195! Check out my North Carolina Angler Fishing website to connect with other anglers in the Charlotte area and the coast of NC. ;)

Welcome Roger, and congrats on the new boat. As a relatively new member and Triumph owner (bought mine in February), I encourage you to look through the general forums, and those specific to your ride. I've learned a great deal about my 170DC and Triumph boats in general. In fact, it was this forum that conviced me to buy my boat.

Ron

Thanks everyone, I feel so welcomed here.

The Few, The Proud, The 195DC owners!

Hey Roger,

Congratulations on the new boat! There's not too many of us 195DC owners, so it will be good to hear from you every so often. By the way, what motor do you have on that baby? Amazing how quiet these new motors are.

Have a great summer with your new boat,

Ron

Ron, I got the Yamaha 150 (F150TXR). It was the largest rated for the boat so I got it!:p I got a big butt so I needed a motor with plenty of ARSE! LOL

Oh Ron, I noticed your profile said you have all the options except the Bow Cushions.... My Wife made me get those so she can chill while I drive her around.

Got the cushions too. Actually the cushions come standard (I think), but the bow filler cushion was an option that I didn't ask for.... but it was delivered anyway, so I got it as a freebee. The cushion is pretty darn heavy, and it's spent most of it's life (so far) in the garage. I've got the same engine (150 4s). My first prop didn't work out, but I have a 14 1/2" x 17" pitch aluminum on it now. The hole shot is impressive and I top out at around 46 to 47 mph. I'm going to try and fit my Ski Pylon on when I get a chance, I think it will turn out be a good ski / wake board boat as well.

I like to troll slowly (for lake trout) so I'm going to have to put a trolling plate on her. I'd like to put a trolling motor on, and I have an old 8 hp johnson, but that beat up 'ol motor (a 1986 which still runs like a swiss watch), just wouldn't look right on the stern beside that beautiful yamaha. I'd like to get a new one, but my wife would probably kill me for even making the suggestion after just buying this new boat. I'll tell ya how the trolling plate works out though.

Have fun,
Ron

Ski pylon

Ron, I have been looking at the 195DC since the local boat show last February. I really like the boat, but have had several things about it holding me back from making the purchase. One of them is the lack of a ski pylon. The local dealer hasn't been any help there. If you get one installed I would love to hear about it and maybe see some pictures. I have made and installed one on a fiberglass boat with no problem, but I am unsure about mounting points and how to anchor it on the plastic boat. Thanks for any feedback you (or anyone else ) can give me.

Pylon Plan

Allied,

Yeah, I looked how the 191Fs is set up and it won't work in our case. They attach the legs on the transom on either side of the motor. the 195DC has lots of meat there and the angle looks tricky for a retrofit.

I have the Swivel Eze unit that I pulled off of my old 17' aluminum CC. Here's my "tentative" plan: Mount the flush mount deck plate on the aft center deck panel (remove deck panel and install a Stainless Steel backing plate etc). Here's where I hope to be creative: pull my removable jump seats, and utilize the jump seat mount holes in the transom, custom build some pipes that will fit snuggly down into the inboard seat mount holes, then cap the pipes with the hardware that terminates the ski pylon legs. I think this arrangement will be sturdy enough as the entire length of the pipes will absorb the load.

The only downside will be that I'll have to remove the jump seats to use the pylon. I got the port side storage seat option (same as the stbd side live well without the plumbing), so there is still ample seating without the aft jump seats. I'm still mulling it over, but since these are a new model, I don't figure anybody has tried to install one yet. (my Triumph manual doesn't even have a diagram of the 195DC in it!). I'll post my creation if I get around to do it this summer. Maybe a winter project. We'll see.

Ski pylon

Ron, thanks for the reply. I have thought about that also, but didn't know if it was strong enough. I did call the factory about this awhile back and they told me that when they were planning the 195 no one they surveyed seemed interested in a ski pylon, but now that the model is out they had gotten a number of comments like mine wanting a pylon. The guy in customer service also said that he thought (but did not guarantee) that it would be on the '08 models to come out in June which is one of the reasons I have not done anything about purchasing yet. Also a couple of weeks ago I called Merritt Marine and talked to Carl Merritt about the boat in general. He said that they have installed after market pylons on Triumphs and this should not be a problem. I did not try to get a lot of details because I will probably make a trip to Merritt Marine one Saturday later this month or in July to talk to them in person. You might want to give them a call. Carl Merritt was very friendly and I am sure would be glad to help if he could. He knows these boats.

BTW - I said in my earlier post that my local dealer had not been very helpful. Merritt is NOT my local dealer. They are about 105 miles from me. The local guy is 24.

Ron, you were refering to the sectional cushion that covers the walk area between the bow seats... Thats what we got my wife. Yea the other cushions are standard. Its neat but I am like you, I think it will end up in storage in a short amount of time.

Back