210 CC trailer bunks sagging

C

ChesapeakeBay

Hey all,

Im new to this site. Glad i came across it. Lots of great info here.
I have just purchased a 2002 210 CC in great condition. I've read alot on here about how important support for the boat on the trailer is on this site. My Question is the trailer bunks are bowed in the middle. The span between the supports is rather large. Has anyone had to add supports to these so the boat wont develop a sag over time? Im not sure mine is sagging yet but wanted to get the sag out of the bunks just to be safe. The trailer is original and even has the triumph name on it. Any advise?

Put your boat in the water and replace the bunks with the same size boards. If there is any sagging it should reutn to its original shape.

ChesapeakeBay, Welcome aboard. We hope you'll join our Premium Member and become a member. :) Be sure to check out the "Downloads" page under the "Info" tab above to find the trailer bunk schematic for your 210. Make sure the bunk configuration is the same.

I wouldn't mind a little input from the factory on this issue. My bunks have always had a sag since the day I bought the boat new a year ago. I seriously doubt that replacing the bunks with new boards would solve anything (if indeed anything needs solving). I think that in short order, the new boards would have a similar bowing with the bunk mounting points as far apart as they are. I'm of the opinion that the bowing is not an issue, but as I said, I would welcome more input.

If the supports sag.....the hull will sag too. And the factory isn't towing any boats around, so the only answers they will have is either common sense or what they read that an actual Triumph Owner did.

ChesapeakeBay.....You answered your own question. Add more supports to the bunks! Or more bunks. Or change the bunks to sturdier wood. I use 6x8's on edge, shaped and beveled to fit the hull. Never had a problem from the bunks or the hull. Would take a Sherman tank to bow those. ;)

The reason, Bill, that I believe it to be a non-issue, is that the "sag" in the boards follows what appears to be the natural contour of the hull. If I were to lay the boat on a flat surface, or perfectly flat bunks, it would rock fore and aft. Actually, the 2x6 bunks would bend under the weight of the boat and it wouldn't rock. That doesn't mean it's not providing support. The bunks are still hugging the contour of the hull. Any bowing or sagging beyond the curvature of the hull would concern me, since it wouldn't provide the proper support. But for any Triumph owner who is using the bunks that came on the EZ Loader trailer, I would be surprised to find one that could sight down the bunks and see no curvature whatsoever. That's why I sought more opinion. My boat, after all, sat on the trailer at the dealer for over a year before I bought it. And while I appreciate your opinion, Bill, I think most owners are using the originally configured trailers that came with the boat. And you also say that you've shaped and beveled your 6x8's (really?) to fit the hull, I'm wondering if the shaping included a curve to fit the hull.

Very good point Mike. What each owner needs to ascertain is the sag matching a correctly shaped hull or something else. As I stated in my post above, I cut the supports for my trailer to Match the hull when it was new and only after I determined that the hull was not already distorted. And it most defintely included curving them. Due to the size of my supports, they will not change shape regardless what the hull does.
As Mike says, If your hull is not distorted and your bunks match the contour of your hull, your fine. It they sag more than the hull, or do not match the correct hull shape, then add supports so they properly support the hull. The fact that they will sag at all suggests that if not properly supported they will match any contour of the hull, including a distorted one. I hope I haven't completely confused everyone.
Also EZ Loader is just a trailer builder and like Triumph, everything they build is not without issues. As those issues arise, changes are made, issues are corrected. I have seen many trailers on here that others have chosen to customize to their own specifacations with excellent outcome. I personally tend to overbuild, and any of my opinions are just food for thought.
Enjoy. :)

Darn it, Bill, I was fixin' dinner, doing a few things ahead of time, and got to reading your post and burned the rice!! :mad: Oh well. I've seen a lot of your work posted here, and it's impressive, and as I said, I appreciate and respect your opinion. That's my main reason for seeking opinions on this, because I noticed right away when I launched the boat the first time (that was fun :rolleyes:) that the bunks had a permanent bow, apparently caused by the weight of the boat, and I remember wondering about it then. I don't really think I have any distortion in the hull, and I think that the boards tend to take on a "set" after being forced into and held in that curve by 2000+ pounds of boat. Hopefully that's the case. A little off topic.....I was out of Port Aransas over the weekend with my son and grandson, and the waves by Sunday were approaching 8' with Alex's approach. In my limited experience, I've never been in water like that, but the boat handled like a dream. We had gone out by some jack rigs on Saturday and it was a beautiful 1-2', but stayed in closer on Sunday. Not much luck......a single 29" Spanish mackerel that my son caught.

Attachments

• PICT1270.jpg
    PICT1270.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 26
I checked with the factory on this for you and here was their reply:
The bowing of the bunks is normal. If you want to send a picture we can take a quick look and confirm that all is well.

Thanks, Randy.....that's what I wanted to hear!!:)

Mike, I see Alex is headed that way & is a Hurricane now. I hope your not in it's path and remain safe. I see in your Pic above the Oil Rig in the background. I visited a friend in Mississippi and he took me fishing on the rigs there. Wow, I could not believe the Snapper and Grouper we caught in that murky water near the Rigs. It was fantastic. Bigger and more than is typical here on the Southeast Florida Coast. I certainly hope they get that mess cleaned up before any more impact on Gulf. Makes me just want to yell.........What a dilema..........Great fishing & energy resource.......but at what risk.

Thanks Bill. Looks like Alex is going in well south of us, and anyway home is 250 miles inland. Getting some gusty winds and outer rain bands, that's it. Can always use the rain. :) I plan to go after the snapper and grouper this fall. During the summer, it's all trolling for kings or other pelagics or nearshore for specks and reds running in the guts.

ChesapeakeBay, sorry, didn't mean to steal your thread. I hope you've had your question concerning the bunks answered. Hope you decide to join us. It's a great forum with a great bunch of folks.

Thanks for the advise. Was considering doing that, just didnt know if people were modifying their trailers so the bunks don't sag, like an extra bunk bracket.

Thanks again

Wow, Thanks for all the replys. Great group here.
Being new to Triumph i wasn't sure if the bow was normal or not. I'll see if i can post a picture and maybe see if anyone thinks the sag is excessive.

Thanks again!!!

ChesapeakBay
If your trailer uses bunks that are flat (2x8) and they have a long span between the support brackets, then just as you mentioned above, I would add more brackets. Take a look at OspreyVics Rolls trailer in the pic below. He has supports every couple of feet on his bunks. That way you can adjust the brackets to match the curve of your hull, with no chance of the bunks sagging or warping leaving the hull unsupported.

Trailer.jpg

Back