5 Wire Flat Trailer Connection

Jim Jenkins

Participating Member
City
Candler
I have a 195 CC with Hyd. Surge brakes. Have struggled along with the trailer since purchase in March '08. Finally got the weight balanced but brakes were not working as they should. Found a break in the line at the tee leading to the left side disc brake and repaired same.

Now with the fluid topped off and lines bled, the brakes work too well. Have needed the "wedge" to block the slide when backing the trailer as the brakes are really working well.

I have noticed all along that the trailer came with a 5 Wire Flat Trailer connection. My Tundra has the 4 Wire Flat on the truck side. Purchased a replacement 5 Wire from Northern Tool and preparing to install.

Any one else out there who has installed the 5 Wire which has a connection for the back up lights from the truck which will trigger the by pass solonoid in the trailer tongue so the brakes will not engage when backing the trailer, especially on an incline? Any help???

Jim,
With the proper installation that should solve your problem. My tow vehicle has a 7 or 8 way connection so I had to buy an adapter to bring it down to a 5 wire to fit the trailer connector. You will really appreciate the help with the trailer brakes.It makes for a safer and more secure feeling when you are towing your 195CC. The company that makes the connector may have a website that has the instuctions for proper connections. Good luck.
John D.

Jim,
My Dodge Ram 1500 came equipped with a 7 pin connector built into the rear bumper. With the right adapter, the trailer's 5 wire plugs right in. From what I understand, each vehicle manufacturer has a different type of plug and requires the correct adapter. I have had no problems towing my 195CC and backing-up is a snap, no fiddling required!

Hi Jim,

I have a 191 FS with a dual axle trailer with surge brakes and a 5 wire connector. I too was having issues backing up. My towing vehicle is a Ford Escape with a 4 wire connector. I contacted my dealer, Hooked on the Bay. He advised to take the blue wire on the trailer connector and plug it into the brown wire on the towing vehicle connector. The blue wire is for your brakes. The brown wire is for the vehicle's lights. Once the connection is made turn on the parking lights. It provides enough juice to operate the solenoid and the brakes don't lock up. I was going to replace the connector on my towing vehicle, but this works for me. Hope it helps you. Good luck

Thanks,
rdc

Jim,

I have a 4 pin on my Nissan Murano. I solved the problem by using a 4-pin to 5-pin adapter. As rdc mentioned, I installed an extra wire on my vehicle wire harness and it plugs into the adapter. Here is a link to the adapter that I'm using. Trailer Adapter

I too own the Tundra and have a duel axle trailer w/brakes, I had it wired in so the 5th wire would work, it's tied into reverse so that when it gets it's signal the brakes will stay released. I took it too the local trailer shop here in Greensboro, NC and he spliced it up charged me $10.00, I now have the 4 and 5 wire hook ups on my Tundra. It's great and works great too

Thanks to all for the responsed on this request for help. Many solutions for a common problem.

As stated when I opened the thread, I purchased the 5 Wire Flat for the truck end of the connection and installed it as the directions enclosed in the package indicated. The directions were very basic but sufficient.

Pulled the tail light out of the Tundra and identified the RED wire providing power to the back up light. Mounted the 5 Wire Flat in the old 4 Wire fixture after some fitting with a Dremel Tool. No 5 Wire Flat fixture available at Northern Tool at our local store. Cut and spliced the standard four wires and ran the 48" blue wire to the tail light to splice into the RED back up light wire.

Total time about 1 hour mostly due to fitting the 5 Wire into the 4 Wire fixture. Everything works as it should. The back up light signals the solonoid on the trailer surge brake to by-pass when in reverse.

It is really good to see the value of this Triumph Owners Web Site.

I have a 195CC with a 4 flat on my truck connecting to the 5 flat on the EZ loader. When I bought the boat my dealer said just disconnect the trailer when you back up and you won't have any breaking problems. However, that doesn't seemt to be working. I called Toyota and they don't have a 5 flat for my truck and I'd rather not get into splicing because the salt water always messes it up. Does anyone have advice for how I can avoid the breaks locking up when I back up my trailer without installing a 5 flat? Thanks!

I have a small "key" for the trailer (EZ Loader) which is also used by the boat yards to move trailers around without connecting the electric. There is a oblong slot on the trailer nearest the hitch into which this key fits and prevents the breaks from engaging. The key shape is hard to describe but seems to be a piece of aluminum, flat circular portion which fits into the slot in the trailer and bent so as to for a handle.

I have a 195CC with a 4 flat on my truck connecting to the 5 flat on the EZ loader. When I bought the boat my dealer said just disconnect the trailer when you back up and you won't have any breaking problems. However, that doesn't seemt to be working. I called Toyota and they don't have a 5 flat for my truck and I'd rather not get into splicing because the salt water always messes it up. Does anyone have advice for how I can avoid the breaks locking up when I back up my trailer without installing a 5 flat? Thanks!

The only way to do this (other than the key described above) is to hook the trailer harness into the reverse lights. The trailer brakes have a surge function that is run by a contacter in the hitch. When there is pressure on this contact (the trailer is pushed towards the tow vehicle) the surge brakes are engaged. I have a feeling the Key locks the contact from moving, thus by passing the surge function. Electrically this is accomplished from the reverse light current holding the solenoid open, preventing the brakes from engaging. The reason leaving the harness unplugged doesn't work is because the surge function is mechanical and installed in the ball hitch, not the trailer lights' wiring harness. Search online for Aftermarket wiring harnesses to allow for a 5 way plug.

Hope this Helps!

I have an 06 195cc on a EZ Loader single axle trailer and it has a knurled knob in a slot on the side of the surge coupler that you slide down when you want to back the trailer up, if you don't have the correct electrical hook-up.
Roger

I have a small "key" for the trailer (EZ Loader) which is also used by the boat yards to move trailers around without connecting the electric. There is a oblong slot on the trailer nearest the hitch into which this key fits and prevents the breaks from engaging. The key shape is hard to describe but seems to be a piece of aluminum, flat circular portion which fits into the slot in the trailer and bent so as to for a handle.

Thanks I'd like to get one of those. Any idea where I can find a "key" like that?

Thanks. I'll take a look and see if I have that. There was a slide on top of the trailer neck that says' back up" but it wouldn't move. It sounds like you are describing something different.

I have an 06 195cc on a EZ Loader single axle trailer and it has a knurled knob in a slot on the side of the surge coupler that you slide down when you want to back the trailer up, if you don't have the correct electrical hook-up.
Roger

Key for electric break over-ride

Thanks I'd like to get one of those. Any idea where I can find a "key" like that?

Try your local boat yard or even EZ Loader. I've posted some pictures of my key.

Attachments

• key.jpg
    key.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 23
  • key in slot.jpg
    key in slot.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 24
  • key slot.jpg
    key slot.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 21
Jim,

I have a 4 pin on my Nissan Murano. I solved the problem by using a 4-pin to 5-pin adapter. As rdc mentioned, I installed an extra wire on my vehicle wire harness and it plugs into the adapter. Here is a link to the adapter that I'm using. Trailer Adapter

I haven't had any problems with my 4 to 5 pin adapter. The adapter works great and I don't have to get out of the vehicle to back up. See the link in my previous post.

Back