Batteries: Lead vs. Gel vs. AGM

paginnett

Registered Member
Just curious about which type of batteries folks have had the best luck with and which type they recommend? Lead, Gel or Glass?

AGM batteries for me

agm for me!!!! i have 2 that i used on my prev. '01 186 logic that powered my 24v. trolling motor. they were kept in the foward battery box and they really took a licking and kept on charging. i moved them over to the 210cc in '04 as my primary start and electronics secondary with an a-b-both switch to charge while underway and they are still as good today as when i bought em new in '01. well worth the extra money of initial purchase when you compare the years of service you will get out of them..
i guess by now there is something new but these agms have done well by me and i recommend them
GGC

We have two Lifeline, Group 31 AGM Batteries. Lifeline batteries have a 5-year pro-rated warranty with a 1-year free replacement. Their specifications are available at www.lifelinebatteries.com

AGM Batteries cost more, but I truly believe that they are worth it.

I would think gels are better but my three EXIDE Marine DeepCycle batteries for the trolling motor are still going strong after 5 years.

Starting batteries didn't last long but switched 2 years ago to WalMart Everstart, the heavy duty yellow ones and they have been fine. I check water levels once a year, add distilled when needed and did treat all the batteries with the MinnKota battery treatment a couple of years ago.

Found that keeping the batteries level and dry in the transome of a Bay 190 is important so may need to make a cradle out of pressure treated 2x4's or marine lumber.

Batteries in the Arizona heat

Simple for me at to my type. All vechiles I have use Optima's
My 190 bay uses a blue top for #1 cranking and the accessories loads. #2, 3, and #4 are all yellow tops with the perco 1,2,both master switch giving me the piece of mind to have another cranking available from my stern yellow top with the flick of a switch. My reasons are evertroll and gel's and liquids just plain cannot handle my 110 summer day average temps. My 190 Bays Optima's are always ready with my stealth charger. No questions when I turn the key. EVER.

sritz05, do you crank and run on #1 and when you get somewhere, kill the motor you switch to #2 bank? #2 bank is 3 batteries for electronics. Where are those 3 mounted? Good to know info for future ref. one day.
Thanks

Also, to anyone, what type batteries are the lightest and by how much %?

I am suspecting Emery you are looking to help save some hull weight ? But before looking to save weight (shave a few pounds) on batteries I would make sure you read the 4 paragraph in this article http://www.odysseysoutheast.com/odyssey-marine-batteries.php on battery construction first :D

Maybe using a smaller group size battery of higher quality to help reduce weight would be another path to consider ;)

I know those Odyssey PC1200 batteries I have are not light by any means for their group size, but they are very well built unit and I have never had a moments trouble either starting or with my trolling motor since installing them :)

Odyssey PC1500 batteries

Based on your post I researched Odyssey. they have just introduced a PC1500 (Group 24 sized) that puts out about the same as a Group 27. With 4 year warranty! Will have two mounted.

Will post when installed on new 215CC.

4 Bank Battery Setup

Molar Boater in answer to your question I just stay in switch #1 I have a 19 Bay with #1 (crank/accessories bank) mounted in the back on the port side in the back on the starboard side I have a Optima d 31 group yellow top these two are connected to the Perco switch.
Up front I have two other D31 Yellow Top Optima's. I have a stand alone the three yellow tops for pushing my 101 3X Rip Tide Bow mount. I use the Stealth DC charger on this and all previous boats. Always charging the craning battery and when it's topped off the trolling batteries are then charged. I also have installed an extra Manico outlet on the bow next to the one for my trolling motor that I connect to my truck with a harness to charge and fully top off my 4 battery bank system will I am towing. With this setup I can stay on the water indefinitely as far as electrical output needs are concerned. Some times while doing the night client trips I will switch over to both banks on the switch since I run several lights off my Stern yellow top. I hope this answers your question if not you know how to find me. LOL

Searover said:
Based on your post I researched Odyssey. they have just introduced a PC1500 (Group 24 sized) that puts out about the same as a Group 27. With 4 year warranty! Will have two mounted.

Will post when installed on new 215CC.

Excellent,
I am quite sure you will be quite pleased with them... How quick many forget that unless the engine starts, the whole rig is pretty much useless no matter how well built the rest of the boat is. So it does not "pay" to cut cost on batteries ;)

Back