Please advise on best 12/24v charging system.

ejbpesca

Participating Member
City
Spanish Fort
Go solar? Is there a solar charger that really works? Please tell me the name.

Otherwise, what I have is a boat with four batteries. Two in a 24v series, one starter, and one spare.

How to charge them? I've seen so many bad reviews on various chargers I'm not sure which, if it exists, lower cost one is best, or must I bite the bullet on a $500 one?

I would really like to solar charge because my boat sits over 100ft. from an AC outlet in a boat yard. I can run a wire but..another hassle and I Mr. Bad Back man. That's one reason I really really like my lil 15 Logic..biggest little boat in the world...to me. I'm trying to get just a few more years out there. I have used solar many years ago on smaller things but don't know if there is a decent solar charger for lead acid deep cycle batteries.

Please move this post if it should be in a better category to get advice. I'm on hold trying to find the best way to go to charge up my I Pilot system and top off the other batts here and there.

My dock is 400 ft from my house. Battery operated lift. I have been using Sunforce solar panels to keep everything up to snuff for the past 3 years. Much cheaper than running electric. Bought the batteries in fall '09 and this weekend they are both holding over 13 volts. You may have to do some homework for your configuration but they have quite a few different models. Here is the one I use and will gladly purchase another, when/if this one goes. Once in a while, I pop it on the boat battery to give it a little pick me up.
http://www.amazon.com/Sunforce-5002...O0TC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1336412444&sr=8-2

That is the very unit I was settling upon. Thanks for the advice. Know what to do now.

Back