Where to place clamps to charge 24v series system?

ejbpesca

Participating Member
City
Spanish Fort
I have two 12v batteries installed and wired to power my 24v trolling motor. Instead of an onboard charger I got a 24v charger with two clips. I see there is a wire joining the two batteries at pos and neg. do I just connect my clips to the other pos and neg posts to deliver the 24 volts for a charge?

Also I have two 12v solar trickle chargers. Do I need to disconnect the series making wire on the two batteries or may I just put one set of clips to one 12v battery and the other solar panel to the second even though there is a wire connecting them?
thanks
jb

If I read your post correctly, you have two 12v batteries connected in series to produce 24 volts (positive terminal of one to negative terminal of the other). And you have a 24 volt charger (not a dual 12 volt charger). If this is the case, then yes, you charge the bank by connecting the charger positive cable to the positive battery terminal that is not connected to the other battery, and likewise with the negative. In other words, connect the cables to the same terminals that are connected to your 24V trolling motor (paying attention, of course, to the polarity).

Paying attention to the polarity? Ok..yes there is a wire that joins the two batteries..pos to neg. The only other wires are to the trolling motor and they join the two batteries pos to neg. when the trolling motor is on. That puts a 24v draw on the two twelve volt batteries. I have a 24v charger with two clamps..pos and neg. Where do I place them to charge?

Paying attention to the polarity? Ok..yes there is a wire that joins the two batteries..pos to neg. The only other wires are to the trolling motor and they join the two batteries pos to neg. when the trolling motor is on. That puts a 24v draw on the two twelve volt batteries. I have a 24v charger with two clamps..pos and neg. Where do I place them to charge?

Same battery terminals that the trolling motor is connected to. Positive clamp to positive battery terminal that is connected to the motor, negative clamp to the negative battery terminal that is connected to the motor.

OK..got that, now how about my 12v solar trickle chargers? Do I need to disconnect the pos to neg wire (trolling motor is unplugged) in order to place separate 12v chargers on each battery?

OK..got that, now how about my 12v solar trickle chargers? Do I need to disconnect the pos to neg wire (trolling motor is unplugged) in order to place separate 12v chargers on each battery?

No need to disconnect. Just slap one on each battery.

Back