Wiring a 24 v system

hedgetrout

Registered Member
City
Newcastle
I want to instal 2 new batteries to run a 24v trolling motor on a 195cc. I currently have the standard 2 batteries with a dual selector switch. I want to be able to charge them from the engine, as well as with an onboard 240v (Australian) charger.
Any suggestions re wiring and fittings. I have installed the above on my last boat however it was a 12v trolling system and this will need a little more thought.

All help appreciated

Andrew

I know this is not really what you are wanting to hear but........I like to keep the starting/running batteries separate and use deep cycle batteries for the trolling motor and install a 2 bank waterproof charger for them if you want. I have never been able to run my deep cycles down and treated them with MinnKota battery stabilizer and have been using'm since 2002. I have replaced the starting batteries once.

I always am comfortable that if something happened to the starting batteries (dual sepector set to "both" and accidentally ran down,etc), I could just take one of the separate deep cycles and start the motor....duplicity and redundancy out on the water just like having separate vhf's and gps's.

Just a thought, good luck, Molar

Thanks

I have just installed 2 100 amp hour absorbed glass mat batteries in addition to my cranking battery and house battery for a total of 4 batteries. I have managed to fit all including a 20 amp on board minn kota charger all under the CC. Quite a tight fit. The advice that I have been given is that I cannot use ine of the AGM batteries for the assessories supply. Is this correct?

Andrew

Charger

I think the best unit I have seen for charging off the engine is the Stealth unit. It is pricey. The following link is to a discussion forum of these units.
http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/boats_motors/t65753.htm
Might help in making a choice or at least where to look next. I just put in a minn Kota on board charger and a power switch on the 24V outlet side of the batteries and plug a cord into my console when I am near power. Hope this helps.

First of all, kudos to wpschaef for the Stealth recommendation. They are tops in customer service, innovation, and quality. Second to hedgetrout, if I understand your question correctly, It depends how you have you batteries hooked up. Since the batteries are separated into two different banks (one trolling and one house/starting) you may be able to use your switch and a Stealth charger or two switches to use the AGM bank for house duties. You can also use the AGM's for starting in an emergency by combining all but one battery using two switches and a schematic from Stealth. Like I said it depends on how you have them wired up now and what you want to do with them. Most chargers are used when you get back home or to the dock with power so I will assume yours is of this type. If you want to charge while using your gas motor you will have to add a Minn Kota alternator charger or a Stealth unit in addition to your 240v charger. I'm not sure about how compatible the 240v charger will be with the rest of this though? My suggestion is to call Minn Kota or Stealth at 1-423-842-2772.

Back