battery charger

A

Aqualab

Probably a stupid question, but here goes - can I use an onboard battery charger in my garage, mounted to the wall instead of in my boat? The portables and in the boat types are the same right - still have to plug the charger into a 120v outlet right? The boat goes in the garage so hook up to the main and spare is not an issue.

Sure, although having some sort of quick-disconnect setup (which for an onboard install is the 110v plug) will make things simpler in the long run.

Thanks Frank. I didn't read many good things about the Guest portables and there aren't many other choices available. Lots of onboard types and brands to choose from.

Thanks Frank. I didn't read many good things about the Guest portables and there aren't many other choices available. Lots of onboard types and brands to choose from.

One of the best portable chargers I've owned is made by Schumacher

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I ended up getting a NOCO Genius. AtBatt.com had a special on them today plus free shipping. Seem to be rated pretty high. Charges every type of marine deep cycles. I'll switch out the ring connectors with gator clips for convenient connect/disconnect.

Hey Frank,
You got me thinking about maybe installing the onboard single bank battery charger in my boat rather than in the garage like I was considering. I was looking for some ideas on LED deck lighting and came across your overhead view diagram which you put together for your proposed boat's upgrades. I would like to do something similar to what you and BarryB did.
But first, getting back to your diagram - I noticed you have the battery charger in the battery compartment? Any issues with having it in the same compartment with the battery and the fuel tank directly adjacent - safety wise?
Thanks,
Bill

BarryB,
Did you ever install your LED deck lighting? If so, what brand, color and model did you finally go with? Did you tie it into the anchor light side of the nav switch? I was going to install a deck light on a pole to "wash" the deck/boat in light but decided against that because of the blinding factor, interference with fishing poles and the bug attractant factor. So will install something at gunnel level and below.
Thanks,
Bill

Hey Frank,
You got me thinking about maybe installing the onboard single bank battery charger in my boat rather than in the garage like I was considering. I was looking for some ideas on LED deck lighting and came across your overhead view diagram which you put together for your proposed boat's upgrades. I would like to do something similar to what you and BarryB did.
But first, getting back to your diagram - I noticed you have the battery charger in the battery compartment? Any issues with having it in the same compartment with the battery and the fuel tank directly adjacent - safety wise?
Thanks,
Bill

Not at all.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Back