battery charging

paginnett

Registered Member
I know this must sound like a dumb question. Anyway, I just finished installed a two battery, 24 volt, power source for my new trolling motor. My question is while using a portable charger which terminals do I connect to? Do I have to charge the batteries individually? Thanks
Paul

No such thing as a dumb question and much better to ask than get blown up, which could happen if you are not careful... If this is your standard 12VDC charger then I recommend you disconnect "all" the battery leads and yes, you have to charge them 1 at at time... Now when you get sick and tired of going though all that headache all the time, you can do 2 things to help save on all that time and hassle...

1. Buy and install a on-board charger that is rated for 24VDC systems that is always connected so all you have to do at the end of the day is just plug in the system OR in the mean time (Lower budget way)...
2. Add 2 extra gator clips and 2 extra leads to your present charger and you can find them at most auto parts stores. Just remember, if you elect to do #2 you STILL have disconnect the leads so that you are not trying to charge a 24VDC system. Just make sure you remember "where" you removed the battery leads though or you could go up just like the Hindenburg :eek: and always install the ground /negative (black) leads first to help keep the sparks from flying :D

Thanks guys

Thanks. After this weekend I see what you mean. I am going straight out and getting a 24 volt charger. One at a time is going to get old real quick.

I knew that would not take very long for I got sick of going through all that headache myself :D

Though I cannot remember the maker of the one I got off the top of my head, it was the one recommend by the manufacturer of my batteries and I was able to get it from Boaters World for a decent price. I think if you look at the pictures I posted on that subject I mention the maker of the charger ;)

paginnett said:
Do I have to charge the batteries individually?
Paul

Not at all...

Another option is to disconnect the batteries from the trolling motor and connect them together in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative) and hook up your charger just like you would to charge a standard 12 volt battery. No extra clips to add to your charger. Since you are using two 12 volt batteries to make a 24 volt system you are already connecting them in series (positive to negative) just switch one of the leads to the other termainal on the second battery (disconnect the negative and connect it to the positive) and add a second cable to the other two terminals (negative to negative) and charge. When you're done, just remove the negative cable and reconnect the batteries in their original configuration. Takes all of about a minute to do this and you can still use your current charger...more money left over to buy bait!! I hope this helps.

Guess I have been doing it all wrong now for 5 years.....using the same Exide Marine Deep Cycle batteries. I have a 36v system connected in series. I charge each one individually while never disconnecting anything using an automatic deep cycle charger. They have lasted so long, I would be scared to change what I am doing. What are the risks of doing this?
Explosion or cell damage?

MolarBoater said:
What are the risks of doing this?
Explosion or cell damage?

There is very little danger of either the way you are doing it as long as you only connect to one battery at a time...the problem is when you get confused and connect to more than one (positive on one battery and negative on another). You can save time, however by connecting them in parallel and charging them all at the same time. Just connect all positive terminals to each other and all negatives to each other and connect the charger to one of the batteries...viola, you kill two stones (or three) with one bird (or something like that) :D :D .

Awesome suggestion, I will give this a try. Sounds better than getting up in the middle of the night to reposition the charger clips.

Charging the easy way

Thought I would chim in here is a product that keeps me away from any AC plugs. Repeat I have never used an AC charger or pluged into an outlet my truck charges while I tow and my Merc charges all banks while its running a big relief and now worries. www.stealthcharging.com I have used their products for several years on three different vessels ranging from 28 ft to my present 190 Bay. You will be impressed and I hope you will mention my name.

I have charged while trailering as well......kinda the redneck way. I used a power inverter in the cab with a medium duty extension cord back to the boat to the charger nestled in a fishbox. Good thing I had a 5 hour drive and charged a whole bank of deep cycles!

Caution....never do this if there is a chance of rain.....StealthCharging sounds good.

How much does a system cost like you are describing, sritz05?

Back