battery problem

special K

Participating Member
City
Beverly Hills
Took the boat to the water on Wed. Tried to start it once then twice, then nothing. Everything was dead, and when I say everything I mean not an ounce of juice was getting to my electronics, dash, trim, or starter. When I got back home I hooked up the battery charger(it was completely drained), it did take a charge rather quickly. It seems ever since I installed my Sony radio back around Christmas my battery drains fairly often. The only thing I can think of is, I have a habit of listening the the boat radio when I'm doing yard work(usually my wife's idea), washing my vehicles, or just sitting on my front porch enjoying the Fl. weather. Would that be enough to drain the battery w/o running the motor, or do I have a problem?:confused: The only electronics I have is the radio and a depth/fish finder. The boat is only 1 year old, bought it new.
Thanx
Brian

Yep. if the system is large its not the radio itself its the AMP, and the speakers your batt. is a starting design does not have long drainage cap. like a deep cycle. put a small trickle charger on it use the radio less should end the problem. the new calcium batts have a bad habbit of not taking a recharge if totaly dead your luckey

Some radios require a continuous current, although much less than one amp to keep their memory intact and clock running. My VHF is like this as well as my in-car radio. It could be that you'll have to install a manual on/off switch on the positive lead to cut off ALL current to the radio when not in use.

Back