Blow Out

sritz05

Registered Member
Well third trip in the AZ heat lit up the right tire on the EZ load trailer putting the mind in overdrive. Luckily for my son and the dog we were near a shade overpass with dirt access so that is where I limped to. Spare tire no problem tire wrench for spare no problem tire wrench to fit the trailer lugs problem. I disconnected left the dog and the son and off to Wally World for a tire iron, 30minuites later we were back in action headed back to were I had just left to the Discount tire store. The Goodyear 205ST75/14 tires were new yet I think the 3yr sabbatical they had just endured help this one to fail. I am glad the story ended safely and the boat was not damaged the only thing that hurt was my ego and wallet, oh yea the White bass had sore mouths 4 hours later than normal but heck I am not complaining. I think I will change tires out this week.

When you go shopping, make sure to get the proper load rated tires. A 190 with all the goodies and fuel can weigh 3000 pounds (mine does). I believe you want the load range "C" which is rated for 1760 pounds at 50 PSI. Don't settle for less.
I agree about the Goodyear Marathons!!!!!!!!
My .02
JR

Have Goodyear marathons on our trailer and they are great! No problems.

Sritz, how are the bearings? Perfect time to replace them and possibly the hubs, they are both cheaper than the tires! I have been running cheap tires with "Bearing Buddies" for 4 years @4k miles interstate per year (70mph) and never had a blow out (knock on wood). Did have some tread damage due to the axle getting out of chamber.
Guess what I am trying to say is that, if the tire still had tread, why did it blow? Puncture, out of balance, PSI, defective tire or more commonly, bearing failure.
Oh yeah, not only do you need a specific wrench to get the nuts off, you might consider carrying a concrete block to heighten the jack a bit since most auto jacks are too short.

Back