Newbies and others check your tire date

bluecrab

Participating Member
City
Herndon
Hi all ,

Well I was on journey for a crabbing trip and one of my tires popped (drivers side). In fact shredded. I pulled over and changed it.

On my way home on the same day the other tire (passenger) started acting up (thump, thump, thump).
I pulled over and it too was beginning to shred. I drove very very slowly home. It took forever. It was Sunday 8pm and I was already using my spare so I didn't have a snowballs chance if it popped.
Luckily I made it home.
I thought maybe parking the trailer up against the curb might have created a flat spot on the tires.

I took the wheels to the tire store and $172 later I have two new tires (balanced) they aren't goodyear but they are decent tires I guess. Anyway the guy showed me where the tire date stamp is (08/03). He said it was because they were just old. I suppose that's correct.

Could parking the trailer against the curb have any affect.

Double check your tires before ya go out. Also check those date stamps.

Still a great boat and trailer!! I am definitely learning about B.O.A.T. Whew! every week it's something or another, oh well!
Sorry I haven't been on the boards much I have been using my boat.
I am taking her down to the outer banks come August for a week or so.

have fun

blue

Trailer / RV tires tend to die quickly mainly because they sit over the winter in snow, are exposed to UV constantly through out the summer, etc. You can get trailer tire covers which will help with tire life but ya in general keep your eye on them and it's not a bad idea to replace them every few years.

PLUS the salt water.
They definitely take a beating.

I guess I need to start carrying two spares these day :)

thanks
Blue

Oh for sure salt water. I don't even think about salt way up on the great lakes.

Back