Smoother ride, less wear, more time on the water.

Dave LeGear

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
What's left of Pine Island
State
Florida
Few people would think of putting on a set of tires on their automobile without having them balanced. Why then do you see most boat trailer tires not done? The same laws of physics apply to those tires also...

Here in some cases you have near a ton or more of weight, about as aerodynamic as a brick being dragged at 60 plus MPH. You ever stop and think that some of that vibration was due to those little tires spinning even faster than your truck tires, out of balance pulling against the bearings (that most times are low on grease or oil) and getting hot? No wonder why you see so many boat trailers on the side of the highway broken down. It is kind of hard to enjoy your boat, if can't make it to the ramp...

So go hitch up the boat, drag it to the local tire store and leave it with them (they like you, have to pull the tires off in the parking lot) to have all (spare also) the tires balanced. It is also a good time for them to inspect and re-pack your hubs if needed.

Now when you get back, take the time to notice how much weight it took to get some balanced? Some will look as large as boat anchors (shocked me) and when you start to drag it home, notice how much smoother it rides... Made a huge difference in how our old boat rolled at highway speeds and well worth the money spent. Hopefully this tip will help get you to the ramp every time you hook up.

May your tires always be round, and always attached!

Dave :D

I had to drag the Skiff to the shop yesterday for repairs and this was my 1st long distance / highway speed run with her.

Was looking back and saw one of the PVC guide on shaking around some at 60 mph, which reminded me about this thread from way back. As soon as she get back, time to take it in and have those tires balanced also ;)

Back