Trailer failure

Sid.Miller

Registered Member
City
Woodbridge
We have had our 2006 195 cc for just under 2 years. It is on an E Z Loader trailer, the original trailer, designed and supplied by E Z Loader for the 195 hull.

Early on we could tell that we were over weight on our tires. We dealt with a Sacramento CA area boat fabrication shop. They conferred with E Z Loader who recommended a larger axle, to allow for the 15" rims, and load range D tires. The old axle had also been bent by the previous owner. So new axle, brakes, tires, and rims.

Now the frame "H" rails are bending and twisting. Photo's attached.

Anybody have a similar experience?

I weighed our boat. 3,960 lbs axle weight, and 4,400 lbs total when unhooked from the truck. The E Z Loader trailer has a capacity of 3,100 lbs, and a GVWR of 3700 lbs. We have some added equipment on the boat when I weighed it. A 9.9 hp kicker motor, and 2 Scotty electric downriggers. They added less than 200 lbs total. The fuel tank also is about 2/3rd's full.

"P8160006" "P8160009" "P8160014"

Sid, I'm amazed that the factory sent out a 195 on a single axle trailer! All the 215's are on dual axle trailers and they are only 2 feet longer and 300 pounds heavier than the 195. I've got to go look at the listing and see what trailer is supposed to come with the 195. Took a quick look around the net for used 195's from "06" and all of them are on single axle trailers. Hopefully Triumph learned their lesson about that. I see on the web sit that the 2011 model comes with a tandem trailer w/single axle brakes. I would contact the factory about your situation but I wouldn't hold my breath hoping they will do anything about it. I would bite the bullet and dump that trailer and get one thats rated for your boat. Why not look at the same trailer the 215 sits on, it should handle your boat with no problem with just some minor adjustments.

EZ Loader is just a manufacturer brand. Any trailer can be used to tow Triumph boats. And the number of axles doesn't matter either. It's the capacity of each axle. However NYHarleyFisher is absolutely correct that you should get your boat off that trailer ASAP, or you might find your whole rig along with the tow vehicle, in a ditch. Even with heavier axle(s), you cannot bring that trailer up to specs. The "I" beams are just too small for the load. However, I still would make a few phone calls to Triumph and EZLoader.

Sid, I have a 2008 195CC with an EZ load tandem axel trailer and no problems at all. I agree with NYHarley there is no way that boat should be on a single axel trailer. I bet it towed poorly and did not track well. With it being torqued so bad I don't think it could even br fixed.

Thanks for all of the input guys.
Yes, we are not putting it back on the road until this is resolved.
We are currently contacting E Z Loader, and we will see where we go from there.
I agree that this trailer probably can not be salvaged. At least not with out new frame rails and another cross brace. This trailer only has the 2 cross braces that the bunk's are supported by. All of the other trailers I see have at least a 3rd cross brace near the axle, if not 4 cross braces.
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Anybody had a similar problem with E Z Loader? And what did E Z Loader do?

Sid. I have a 2008 195CC, and my trailer is an EZ Loader with dual axles and dual brakes. I agree with the posts, if the trailer cannot be changed and fixed, buy a new one. I have researched many magazines, and free boat publications which offer a number of deals for dual axle trailers.
Dave

Well the issue is resolved.
We found a used trailer and had it altered to fit the Triumph. All done for under 2400 dollars. New prices were about 4000 here on the west coast. The trailer we found is 5000 GVWR, and should serve us well
Thank you for all of your advice, and concern.
P9200020.jpgP9200021.jpgP9200022.jpg

Back