tires on tandem trailer wearing out on the in side on both sides

ceasniper

Registered Member
City
Bakersfield
I have a 06 215 chaos that I bought new in 10/07 and is the best boat that I have ever owned hands down and the trailer pulls great and loads easy. The problem is the tires on the rear axle wore on the on the inside on both sides, I called ez load and they said I had a bent axle and replaced it in febuary 09. Last week I was doing my walk around before I hooked up and found a low tire on the passenger front thought it was a nail was going to change it out and found the same thing as the rear both the the inside are wore down to the steal core , I called ez load and said that I must have hit a curb or a pot hole and bent the axle but they would replace the axle , my beef is not with ez load they have been really good, but I know the roads I drive and the ramps I use and how I drive and pull my boat and I can not think of anything that would cause this , I have a fifth wheel that I have had for years that I have taken to places that I would never think of taking my boat. a tandem utility trailer that I know I have put to much weight on and still no problem . so my question is has anyone else had this problem........ any help would be great.:(

I think that this has to do with the position of your axel's under the trailer. I sounds to me like you need to move them both back/forward so that each axel carrys the same amount of weight. If the tires are wearing bad on just the inside inner edges then you are overloading one axle...........If this is on the rear axle move both back.....Front move them forward......4" can make a difference with dual axle trailers.......

ceasniper,
I would also check the trailer for balance. With it hooked up to your tow vehicle,stand a way from it and see if it is level.Not too high in the front or back.You can lower or raise it by getting a different receiver to attach the ball to.I had to buy a hitch that raised the trailer ball by 6 inches in order for the boat to sit level when towing. I had the same problem with my trailer tires until I leveled the boat while towing.Most of the weight was on the front tires and causing them to bow out while hitting dips in the road.My local ezloader dealer advised me to make that change and it worked.No more uneven tire wear. If that does not solve the problem the next step would be to move the axles forward or backward as Boostjunkie suggested.Good luck.
John D.

fridaysoff makes a GREAT point with the trailer being level....Do that first!!!

When I originally mounted the ball on my trailer, the tongue was too low. I removed the ball and reversed it on the hitch which raised the tongue about 4 inches and leveled out the trailer.

Back