right tire wearing unevenly

mbone20

Registered Member
City
Jefferson
I have a 186 logic on a majic tilt aluminum trailer.

The right tire is wearing quickly on inside edge about 1 inch wide.

The first right tire was replaced after a couple of years and put to spare tire use.

Now it's replacement is doing the same uneven wear.

I am wondering if springs are not strong enough for weight of boat.

Any suggestions on toubleshooting would be appreciated.

mbone20
Jefferson,GA

Possible spring or it could be alignment issue from hitting a curb. I would contact Magic Tilt http://www.magictilt.com/contact.htm and give them the year and model of your combo, and see if it is truly rated to handle such and what could be done to correct for such... Who knows, they could have gotten a truck load of weak springs and are now years later, finding out about such the hard way ;)

Also possible "out of camber" axle. Bob Pencil at Magic Tilt has been very helpful to me in the past with out of warranty issues (3 years). Would suggest using 2000lb leaf springs to replace the stock ones.

My trailer is rated for 2630 gvwr according to specs from majic tilt.

Boat 1,800lbs.
Motor 347 lbs. 115 merc elpto
Batteries 150lbs
Fuel 20 gal @ 6.25 lbs. =124lbs
Gear 100 lbs est.

2,521 total est close to rating of trailer

When looking down boat from tongue the tires/wheels look like they are not perpendicular to ground.

Larger springs may be a help there.

Any suggestions on where to buy springs?

mbone20

The tires should be canted inward so that when the trailer is weighted, they flare out to perpendicular.
My est are that the boat weighs more, usually 2100lbs possibly, then you should have a 39 gallon gas tank, possibly a cooler full of fish, drinks or ice. Assorted gadgets, anchors etc, the motors will always weigh in more since they will be full of grease and oil then add 10% of the gross estimated weight to the gross est. My Bay 190 pushes 3,900lbs with a 100lbs t-top, 5 batteries and usual extra ice chest 150qt with full tank of gas. I have also had a MagicTilt axle bend out of camber and replaced. A body shop could bend it back but once you start bending axles there could be another future problem around the corner.
Good luck

full

notice the tread completely worn away on the inside 3".

The right side of any trailer will get the most abuse. Turning corners too tight, rough shoulders, curbs and chug holes take their toll on our boat trailers. We know our boats are heavy which compounds our problems. Trailers are a necessary evil for our sport and we will have to deal with them constantly. If you don't maintain them properly you are likely to suffer the consequences. I'm not telling anyone here what you don't already know. Now for my engineering assessment for mbone20, your axle is bent. I hope you are able to find someone that can fix it but I'll bet it needs replaced.
Luck and beers.
JR

I agree with JR Gar, the axle is bent and out of camber as well as toe in. There has to be some serious scubbing going on with the inside edge of that tire. Camber only would wear the tire, but hard to believe it would be that bad with camber out of whack only.

In any case, junk that axle and replace with a stronger one.

codfish

mine wore from underinflation and it didnt take long to get in that condition either. plus trailer came with carlilse tires which arent my first choice as well.
new tires kept at 50 psi have held up well w/o any axle, camber modifications
ggc

Back