Boston Harbor - Fall Fishing Report for Stripers

BostonFisher

Participating Member
City
Boston
I thought I provide a fall fishing report for stripers in the Boston Harbor. Starting in mid September the fishing was fantastic early in the morning. Get out just before sunrise and you'll see the birds flying back and forth looking for the bait. As soon as the sun comes up you can spot the birds diving and the bass are usually just below. I had a lot of luck in the "bass triangle" in the area farthest from deer island and from deer island across to castle island. Most of the bass were in the low 20 inch range but we pulled up some keepers too. Baits that worked well were plastic crank baits (shad), slug-go's, and poppers. On some days they wouldn't hit anything with a snap swivel or a leader, on other days it didn't matter. There was a mix of bluefish in September but as October rolled around there we no more blues to worry about. By mid October the fishing died down again. It's a great 5 weeks though!

We use light tackle and follow the birds for the most part. Very little trolling so we can stay light. In September there are still a lot of boats out there so it can get a bit crowded. By October it's too cold for the casual fisherman and it's much less crowded. I love the fall fishing in Boston Harbor and if you can make it out early in the day it's easy to score a lot of fish. The fishing usually dies down around 9:00am or so but they're still out there. It bet it's good fishing at sunset but my boat didn't have lights so I couldn't try it out. Can't wait to try next year in my new 195CC Triumph. If anyone fishes the Boston Harbor or close by let me know and we can trade some info.

Cabo Mexico note: Just got back from a week in Cabo San Lucas. The fishing was great with lots of school tuna off of San Jose Del Cabo and good dorado on the pacific side. I saw a few marlin but no hook up. If anyone is heading out there I'll be happy to tell them more about who I fished with, etc.

Great report BostonFisher. I'm going Striper fishing on Jordan Lake here in NC tomorrow for the first time. There have been some nice ones pulled out of there too. Tight lines!

I've always wanted to try and catch a fresh water stiper. Are you catching those hybrids they stock? Good luck!

as december rolls around your boston bass have began to show up off the northeast coast of north carolina and it is on up until april!!! well that is boaters wait for us triumph guys to show up and break up the ice at the landing so they can follow us out!!!

with sooo many idiot boaters out there ,it really is comforting being in a triumph

GGC

Try trolling the "Tube & Worm" around the rocks and grassy areas. You can get the tubes from the great "Pete Santini" at Fishing Finatics in Everett, Mass. I think he has a web site try www.fishfinatic.com or google it. You can fish along the rips and deep water with lead core line. I know Pete pulls up some monsters by doing this. I average 200 to 300 stripers (catch and release) per season in Maine by using his rigs. We have caught so many fish with these tubes the we are considering building a statue of Pete Santini near our favorite fishing spot along Casco Bay Maine.

Good Luck, M I M

Hi Mike,

Where is your favorite fishing spot in Casco Bay? I live in Freeport?

Thanks,
Erik

We caught 31 stripers yesterday. They were not hybrids but true stripers. As I understand it the hybrids will kick in hot and heavy next April.

I've always wanted to try and catch a fresh water stiper. Are you catching those hybrids they stock? Good luck!

NCa, 31 fish! Nice Day! I hope you release them. We need them to come back up here and spawn next spring. Up here (Maine) we have 2 limits on what size we can take. 1st slot is 20" to 26" and 2nd slot is over 40". Anything under 20" and from 27" to 39" MUST be put back. The healthiest breeding fish are in the 27" to 39" range. We are only allowed to take one fish per day.

And Erik, I can't really say exactly were I fish but it is SE of you.

M I M

These were fresh water stripers in a lake here in NC. The limit is 4 per day/per person and over 20". I kept four to fillet since I've never eaten striper before, but all the others were released. :)

Back