Fishing Beaufort, SC

broth

Registered Member
City
Charlotte
I was wondering if anyone does any fishing in the creeks and sounds around Fripp, Hunting and Harbor islands. I am planning to take my father and step son down in September or October and would like to catch something other than shark, skates and whiting.

Any advice or coordinates would be appreciated. I plan to stay in or close to shore.

Thanks!

Hilton Head fishing

There is a marina/shop area on Hilton Head called Shelter Cove. It is a bit like 'arena fishing' with office buildings on one side and shops/marina on the other, but you can catch redfish and trout in the cove. There is a bridge from the marina over to an island...if you go under the bridge and anchor on the left against the rope that blocks access to the marina, you can fish under the walkway against the wall for about 2 hours after high tide and usually catch redfish.

Have a good trip

Thanks

Thanks Fishin Fool. I'll check that out this fall. I have also thought about hiring a guide in the area to learn a little more. I went out with Captain Eddie (from Fripp) but the wind was pretty high that day and we stayed in Fripp Inlet and caught Whiting.

I'll post some results when I get back down that way.

Fripp fishing

I re-read your question and realized I answered for the wrong Island! Been many years since I fished Fripp Inlet...after you cross under the Fripp bridge going out of the inlet, on the right there used to be a Cross in a yard...there was a flat there where you could catch flounder and sometimes redfish. From the Fripp Island marina, as you go out toward the bridge, there is a creek on the right within sight of the marina. Go into the creek until you get to a sandy bluff, in a turn, on your right. Fish the grass line just before the bluff on an incoming tide for trout and redfish. You can also fish on up in this creek at high tide for redfish...

Going out of the inlet, there is a wreck 1 mile off the coast...I have not been there since I've gotten a GPS, but it is on the charts. I've caught nice big redfish here. There is a bouy off the inlet, 6HI I believe it is (maybe 6 miles offshore?), where you can catch spanish and kings...

Going out of the Harbor Island inlet, after you go under the bridge, you can see a creek on your left. You can't get across the flat to this creek from 2 hours before low til 2 hours after low...we used to go in before low and wait on the fish. Fish about 50 yards up in the creek, anchoring on the right and fishing the grass on the left.

One last place, south of Fripp Island is Pritchard's Inlet and Pritchard's Island. Have caught large redfish in the inlet. We have also made a day trip of it and anchored the boats in the inlet so we could surf fish the incoming tide. When the redfish are there, this is awesome.

Again, hope you have a great time and catch alot of fish!!

Tony

Beaufort fishing

Thanks for looking back. Though Hiltonhead isn't far, I have typically launched from Fripp or acroos from Hunting island pier. The house I stay in looks out acroos the inlet between Fripp and Hunting. The sandbar has typically been shallow enought that I have not seen anyone go straight out until this year. To me it still looks too shallow, but I saw what looked like a skiff come full speed right through and into the inlet. I held my breath the whole time watching.

Do you know if Pritchards is accessable from the back side of Fripp or do you have to go around the beach? I haven't explored that way and have been told you quickly run out of water going right out of Fripp Marina.

Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.

Bryan

There was a back way

There was a back way to Pritchard's but it has been 10 years since I've been there. Things change alot in that period of time. I do remember going there at low tide and, at one point, having to get out of the boat and push across a shallow area...

Back