Fripp Island Report

broth

Registered Member
City
Charlotte
I finally was able to get the boat in some SC waters last week. While on vacation on Fripp Island, I went out everyday fishing around Fripp inslet, the Story River and Trenchards Inslet. We were mainly bottom fishing with mild success until Thursday, July 1st.

My step-son and I woke up to a steady rain and overcast skyes but no wind and water smooth as glass. We decided to head out to Trenchards inslet as long as the weather would hold out. Four hours later we had one of our funnest fishings days ever! We landed over 100 keeper size Whiting (only kept a few for the frying pan), several Weak fish (14-18 inches), two Bonnet heads; one 28" the other 30" and one 14" fish which I believe was a Pompano or Jack. All went back except for the few Whiting. We were bottom fishing with shrimp and squid and had a bite within seconds of nearly every cast.

The rain never really stopped completely, but was light enough that it never really bothered us either. It was really incredible. We laughed with every strike. Finally ran out of bait and needed to head in.
Of course we didn't have the camera or the cell phone, so no pictures an mama was getting worried that we didn't, but what a day.

If your headed that way, head to Trenchards Inslet right off of Bull point. Fish the incoming tide in about 25 feet of water just where it drops off to 35 feet. No guarantees, but it was quite a day for us!

Good luck

Back