Steinhatchee Spanish and Trout

Fishin' DC's

Participating Member
City
Gainesville
State
FL
Took my wife, daughter and her boyfriend out today for the first time in what seems too long. Got on our spot about 8:30am right as the outgoing tide starting heading out. Weather was overcast and 68deg. Water temp was 67deg and clarity was real dark. Dark tanin freshwater runoff is still affecting the water clarity after all the hurricane and rain activity this fall. Steinhatchee typically has gin clear water. Drifting the grass flats, my daughter and I each caught a keeper speckled trout (15", 16") and everybody caught several shorts on jigs with plastic grub (electric chicken color). Shortly after noon, headed out to an area called Little Bank, about a 8-9 mile run in 18-20ft water (it's shallow on the gulf side). Both wife and daughter boated two nice spanish mackeral (21", 22") that weighed out as 2lb-4oz, and 2lb-14oz using live shrimp under Cajun Thunder corks. Rain started to fall as a front starting moving through, bite shut down, so we headed in with rain stinging the face. Although it was not as nice a day as the weatherman promised, it was fun to get out after them.

Back