inshore/offshore morehead city

mowerchaotic

Registered Member
I got one of my few chances of the year to do some salt water fishing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday out of Morehead. The fishing is definately at its peak right now.

Thursday was a half-day on a friends boat at cape lookout and around beaufort inlet. We were fishing for spanish, but after we realized we left the clark spoons in the truck, we jigged sabikis and loaded the bait well with menhadden. We slow trolled these for about an hour and pulled the hook on a monster king, but managed to boat a 12 pounder. Afterwards, we cast gotchas around the inlet and picked up several nice blues and spanish. All in all a great day considering the improvisation.

Friday was my first charter trip offshore. All of my previous stereo-typical thoughts about charters were all proven wrong. I had the priviledge to fish with two of the best captains in N.C.(my opinion of course) I have fished offshore many times, but I learned more in this one day about fishing techniques and bait rigging than all of my other trips combined. These guys were 100% professional and willing to teach there craft. (It impressed me that they both fished the big rock last week, and one placed in the money.) We had a blast while catching 17 nice dolphin, 1 wahoo, and 2 bonita. We had a 6 man rotation going, and I think everyone caught at least 3 fish. We cleaned the fish ourselves and do plan on eating every morsel that God provided us.

Saturday was a beautiful day on the dock with my family and daughter. She had a chance to catch/hold her first fish. We spent about 2 hours slaying the sea bass. I cleaned 6 keepers and we released 20 or so smaller ones. I'd hook the fish and hand her the pole and she'd just go crazy with laughter.(she's 2). It was a great weekend on the water. Like I said the fishing is as hot as it gets, inshore/near shore/ and offshore around Morehead City.

Thanks for the Report. I didn't have the luck on Spanish and blues last weekend that I had a couple weeks ago. I did manage to catch my first hammerhead however, out by Cape Lookout. Glad to hear you found some keeper sea bass too, all we managed were undersized ones. Good Luck!!

Back