4/23 Grouper, King and Spanish

Fishin' DC's

Participating Member
City
Gainesville
State
FL
My wife, daughter and I fished out of Cedar Key this past Sunday (4/23). We launched and made the 8 mile run to Seahorse Reef to try for some Spanish macks. Seahorse Reef is a real hot spot this time of year. We trolled 3.5" drone spoons on 30 lb mono and caught two, one was a nice 3lb. Also caught a 6lb bonito. We then motored out 12 more miles to 50ft depth and trolled using Mann's Stretch 30's. My wife's rod starting singing which was rigged with an orange over chartreuse plug. She had a nice king on. It was pretty neat to see that thing jump and dance. She was able to get it to the boat...but not in the boat. She got distracted for a split second and let the line go slack and the fish was able to throw the plug. She didn't get a good look at him, but I did. It would probably have gone 14-15 lbs. We continued to troll the area and came on some nice "swiss cheese" bottom (limestone bottom with ledges and undercuts providing some good fish habitat). We again were pulling the stretches (wife on the orange and me on the blueberry..dark blue over chartreuse). I was at the helm punching in the GPS waypoint to head back to the ramp, not noticing that my rod is bucking like a wild horse. My wife notices it and starts yelling for me to grab it. By that time, the fish had the line down to the backing ( I had failed to engage the clicker). I grab it and reel some line back on and hand the rod off to my daughter, as it felt like a nice fish. She horses him in, me providing leverage on the rod and her cranking away and squealing every time the fish gave a good head shake. She wins the battle and brings in a nice 11lb gag. She's whipped at this time and goes to recuperate. We put out the plugs again, and as soon as they reach bottom, both rods start bucking...a double. My wife and I pull them in and she's got a nice 6lb gag, while I pull in a 10lb gag. All three grouper caught within 10 minutes. It was also within 30 minutes of moonset (my interest in solunar tables has now been peaked). We headed in and made it to the ramp after a 45 minute ride from 20 miles out. Got home just before dark and was able to clean fish while slapping mosquitos. We had been skunked the past several trips on the grouper bite, so it was a big confidence builder to be able to find them again. All in all brought six fish back (2 spanish, 3 gag, and the bonito which was fileted...he'll be for bait later on...too bloody of a meat for me). Ya'll catch 'em up.

Sounded like a great trip. We've been thinking of launching out of Cedar Key as well. Now I think we will. If it makes you feel better, not much has been biting in Citrus county.

It's probably the same down your way, but if you come up to CK, plan to launch early. I usually launch near daylight, but this past weekend we drug around and didn't make it there until 8am. Marina parking lot was full, nearby parking as well. I had to park about a mile away and was lucky to find that spot (not really a spot, but I called it one). Oh yeah, and bring $10 for the ramp fee.

Nice report, got any pictures??? I have never seen a king, so a picture would be great.

Thanks for the picture, they look like they would hit hard....how do they run?

They also call them "smokers". Not for the cooking method, but for what happens when they take off after the strike. On the initial strike, they will peel 100-150 yards of line off your reel in a heartbeat, then turn right around and run right back at the boat, turn around and run out again. Throw in a couple of "skying" jumps during the fight and you've got a memorable fish on your hands.

Back