Cedar Key Grouper

Fishin' DC's

Participating Member
City
Gainesville
State
FL
My wife's a teacher and has this week off for spring break, so I took a couple of days off as well. Tuesday, she and I took the 210 to Cedar Key with forecast of 2-3's with winds 10knots. First stop was an area in 32ft that I had heard some good reports of. After trolling Stretch 30's at 5knots for a while with no takers, we headed out to an area where a spring is supposed to be. We bottom fished using cut bait (sardines). We must have caught 30 short grouper, both gag and reds, and lots of grunts. Only the grunts made it in the fishbox. We decided to head back in towards the ramp and I decided to hit the first spot one more time. By this time it was around 4:30 and seas were very calm. No takers again on the troll. We started pulling lines in to end the day when both me and my wife's rods got hit for a double. Maybe the change in speed got their attention. I boated a 13lb 10oz gag that pulled like a freight train. Wife got a nice 6lb 3oz gag. I marked the spot and trolled back over it a second time at about 3.5knots and we doubled again. This time a 12lb and a 5.5lb. After covering a little more area, we doubled for the third time with a couple of 5lb'ers. Colors of the lures didn't seem to matter, they were hungry and ready to hit. Water temp was 70deg and air temp was 74. Ended the day with 6 keeper gags and several grunts. Today was spent fileting and cleaning up. A big mess of fish are now chillin' in the freezer. Nice grouper dinner tonight really topped off these last couple of days.

Great report Fishin' DC's! It is great that you and your wife enjoy that together. My wife is fishing with me next month for the first time. Looking forward to it.

I'll be right up with the Blackening Seasoning in hand Brother. Just let me know when the skillet is all nice and hot and I will be more than happy to fix them... Besides, I would not want your freezer to work too hard and it jack up your power bill for no logical reason :D

Dave

Must be nice to be able to catch grouper in 32' of water. Around here you usually have to be in 90'-100', which wuold be a long way in a 186.

Back