Gulf Shores trip

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
I haven't had alot of time to post since trying to catch up with work after a half of week off. This is about my yearly June trip to the Gulf.

So I went out of Fish River, AL June 13 about 6AM....not too far from Gulf Shores/Orange Beach and ran out thru Weeks Bay to Mobile Bay out thru Dixie Bar into the Gulf. It was rough. 4-6'+ rollers with 2' chop inbetween.....so I attached 2 lanyards to my kill switch so I could run around the boat!:eek:

Ran just 2 lines to increase my chances of running down a fish, one with a surface lure and ballyhoo and the other with a Stretch 30+. Got about 8 miles out and trolled between a couple of gas rigs and caught a cobia @30" and too short, a remora. Finally hooked up two of the biggest spanish macks I have ever seen....and fat....as big as a small legal king!

Trolling back in, the same strike happened to me that I lost on Memorial weekend. The 20lb surface line starts screeming! Sounds just like if you hooked a log. Last time I had 3 lines in the water and knew everything would get tangled so with just two lines and the free line being 30' down, I was able to turn the boat around and chase some line back on the reel. Ended up being a really nice fat king @34".

With the seas so big, not alot of boats and being the middle of the week. So, the fish are biting down here but the speckle trout fishing is still slow on the Eastern Shore but did have a monster redfish jump out of the water after I chummed a reef with a sandwich from WalMart!:D

Tight Lines to all!

Back