Fort Morgan offshore 6-11/6-14

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
Shoot me, I forgot the camera.

Did go out last week twice and thanks to XM Weather, I was able to fish around storm cells and stay out longer and time my return trip to avoid storms in the bay! Just the typical summer weather patterns on the Gulf Coast unpredictably predictable.

Hooked up a big bull red @ 10 miles offshore on the second oil rig to the southeast from Dixie Bar which weighed 24lbs and 37" long. He ripped the treble hook off the tail of a Stretch 30 and bend out both trebles on the second stretch 30 that eventually got him. (J&M Tackle in Orange Beach replaced with stonger trebles as they say those Mann hooks are not as strong as they could be and Williamson diving plug trebles were even weaker, so I am replacing all of the trebles).

Later hooked a small king on another Stretch 30 and picked up a couple of snapper at one of Alabama's too numerous to count articifial reefs.

Saturday, more storms moving about, bonita everywhere as well as flipper, just like Wed. Lots of spread out grass in the water with plenty of jellyfish with cloudy water. Caught a bonita and picked up a couple more snapper.

In general, slow fishing but didn't run out as far as I would if someone would have been with me, lots of bait in the rivers, bays and offshore as well as grass but no weedlines and porpoises everywhere, even in the spread!

The big red was the highlight and although it rained everywhere, didn't get wet once! Bilge pump got clogged up and had to use the Rule portable bilge pump/raw water washdown unit and it did great and was able to back flush the boat pump to get it running again as well.

BANG !!!!

Next time take the camera ... ;)

the spanish are runing good along the beach in gulf shores this weekend. alot of bait fish along the beach

THURSDAY
EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHEAST AROUND
10 KNOTS IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS 1 TO 2 FEET. BAYS AND COASTAL
WATERWAYS SMOOTH. ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

Oooooh Weeee!!! Sounds like a nice run out to Trysler Grounds.

yep and i have to go to wind creek lake with the little wifes side of the faimily not even takeing any fishing gear. good luck molarboater and dont catch them all.. the sea dont get any better than that down there.... you lucky dog

I hear ya glehav, my wife and all the kids/etc will be at lake in north AL and I will burn the $4/gallons to go all the way to the Gulf, fish and drive all the way back up on Fri Morning.
Expensive fishing trip but good times, and maybe some $50/lbs snapper!

I hear ya glehav, my wife and all the kids/etc will be at lake in north AL and I will burn the $4/gallons to go all the way to the Gulf, fish and drive all the way back up on Fri Morning.
Expensive fishing trip but good times, and maybe some $50/lbs snapper!
what? $50 lb snapper are you having to buy your snapper now, that explaines why you always come home with fish your buying them:):):) ill sell you some for $25 a lb... all you want to buy.. have a good 4th

Trip went well, caught a small black tip shark, a couple very large bonita, yum, and an AJ. Perfect weather thanks again to XMWX as it looked bad going across the bay but XM said those are just dark clouds.

Lets see, $100 gas to get down there, $150 to fill the boat, $25 bait, $25 beer/water and $100 gas to get back.....$400. So if you can only keep 2 snappers, say 10lbs each, and you get 5lbs/each of meat off of them, then you have $40/lb snapper!

The AJ was too small so I thru him back and was promptly eaten by flipper.

Glad I wasn't running a 30' boat with twin 350's or something....they were nowhere to be seen...hmmmm.

You guys have the math all wrong. The gas for tow vehicle and boat, the bait, snacks, rods, reels, lures, boats, etc. are all tallied up under the cost of recreation and "de-compressing"...the fish are a bonus and therefore, free. Only thing better than a nice fish dinner is a "free fish dinner"!!

I keep telling the wife, "I can feed my family in times of crisis" with all the gear. Survival.

So, using that logic, I can justify all the gear under "insurance". We have to have insurance...just in case. I like it. Thanks!

I can hear that conversation right now: "Hey, Honey, because I love you and want to look out for your well being, I bought more insurance today. BTW, I need a bigger tackle box." :D

my wife does not like the fact that our boat does not have a bathroom on it........... so next time i buy a boat i am going to use this to my avanage and tell her i am going to buy her a nice big bathroom the nice big boat just comes along with it.... a bathroom with two out boards... molar glad to hear you done well at the gulf its the fun that counts how can you put a dollar amount on that .. i still have some snapper for sell for $25 a lb. LOL

GLEHAV, the way we have our 210 CC set up for wife, she is VERY happy. The mega hold works GREAT for her. We would probably have to go over 40 feet to get an inside bathroom (HEAD) she would like better. No small closet will ever do. Either make it the size she has at home or the mega hold on our 210 will do just fine.:D

Molar,
I've had the same problem with the Stretch hooks pulling. I replaced mine with Owner 8/0's. I believe they're made of duratin and are a much stouter hook that I haven't had any problems with so far, although they appear to develop some early rust signs. While down in the Keys, I stopped by Worldwide Sportsman in Islamorado and picked up a couple of new Offshore Angler Stretch-30 knock offs that I'm anxious to try. One was a pinfish color that looks like grouper and kings ought to jump all over it. They're less expensive than the Mann's, so we'll see if they produce.

Back