Trysler Grounds trip

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
My dad and I went out of Cotton Bayou in Orange Beach, Al for a 30 mile trip in the Gulf to the Trysler Grounds last Thurs. Beautiful day, hardly any breeze 1-2' seas and not a rain cloud around.
Put the outriggers out and the downrigger down and Bam.....new Billy Bait chrome jet head pearl colored lure is hit and line is flying out.....then not. Double barrel leader crimps failed and bye bye $25 lure.
OK, recompose, cirlce around a couple times and what looked like a 4' wahoo shoots straight out of the water on the flat line in the prop wash missing but skyrocketing about 6' in the air. He circles back and he gets the trailing hook on the prop wash lure. He is already so close to the boat and I reeled him so hard he is beside the boat in just a few minutes then POP goes the leader on the hook.
Feeling sick about now. Re-did all the leaders on the next spread and noticed the Stretch 30 isn't swimming quite right. So I have my dad pull that one in, I hate pulling Stretches in, and there is a Mahi on so we aren't shut out. Had a couple more short strikes and headed back in.
I made all new leaders and will never use double barrell crimps again. Lesson learned and not enough fish in the box.

The day before, specks and white trout were biting well at sunset on the oyster reefs in Mobile Bay on jigs and DOA's.

The wind on Saturday made NOAA's 1-3' seas 4-8' and saw the Coast Guard towing a sinking center console with two bailing like mad in the transome. We followed them in and went to the dock for some R&R.

Molar

Back