Fishing in Orange Beach last week

MolarBoater

Contributing Member
City
Mountian Brook
Well, the fishing trip last weekend out of Orange Beach, AL could have gone a little better. Did get to fish out of Cotton Bayou Wed 8th, nice day, 2' seas went to Trysler Grounds. Dropped a chrome jet head with 8" white squid skirt/ cigar minnow combo and 10' out got hit by a remora. After seeing sea turtles, 8' shark, numerous dolphin ie flippers, flying fish, tons of bait outside Perdido Pass, we expected plenty of fish in the boat. Spied on some charters out there and they weren't bringing fish aboard either. On the VHF, sounded like good fishing at the 100 fathom line with wahoo and large grouper/snappers but a little further out than what we wanted in a 190 cc. Came back into some perdido bridge section reefs and pick up a few too small dolphin/fish and snapper. Nice trip with "Dad", didn't get skunked but had to buy supper. I will try to add some picks of Tropical Storm Arlene which passed right over our condo at the FloraBama line, they wil be for Sat and a beautiful sunday morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0036_1.JPG
    IMG_0036_1.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0044_1.JPG
    IMG_0044_1.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0048_1.JPG
    IMG_0048_1.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0054_1.JPG
    IMG_0054_1.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 25
Nice dark skys, I like stormy like weather at the beach.....Sorry to hear the fishing was not all that.

Genelie, it does force you to relax, stay at the condo (that survived Ivan intact) and put reef coordinates into your chartplotter, watch Fox news and have a drink. Mostly drizzled, no lightning, actually fished Fri morning in 6-8' swells w/o any problem but only for about an hour...didn't want it to get too exciting! Went out to Mobile Bay on Sunday, tons of bait jumping around but nothing biting at the oyster reefs. Will be down in Destin for the 4th, I don't expect too many other people down there that weekend so maybe I'll have the fishin' all to myself. haha.

Location question

In Your fishing report post you talked about:"some perdido bridge section reefs". Where is that located in relation to the bridge? We have a condo 6 mi east of you at Beach Colony. In fact going down there today for a week. No fishing just first stay since Ivan 9-16. Got painting finished last week and carpet folks due in tomorrow. O the joys of condo life. Aint no reason for hurricane season!!!
04 19Bay

try around N30 02.309 W87 33.245 old Perdido Pass Bridge sections which held some small snappers and dolphin. Bottom fishing has been slim close to shore. But in the salt, you never really know what may decide to bite your hook! Good Luck, Emery

Couple buddies of mine have been doing well close in fishing at night (Pensacola area). They use a green light about 20 feet below the boat. Two nights ago they pulled the light up under the boat and loaded a small cooler with bait fish and squid. All they had to do was net them as they swam around the light. Going down next month to try a little night fishing myself. Will be the second time I have had my 17 CC in the salt.

foxbo said:
Couple buddies of mine have been doing well close in fishing at night (Pensacola area). They use a green light about 20 feet below the boat. Two nights ago they pulled the light up under the boat and loaded a small cooler with bait fish and squid. All they had to do was net them as they swam around the light. Going down next month to try a little night fishing myself. Will be the second time I have had my 17 CC in the salt.
Foxbo I have taken a flood light (kind of like the freshwater night crappie fisherman use) & put it over the side to dip up squid, bait fish, flying fish ect.... with the dip net.

I just got one of these lights for Dad for his birthday http://www.hydroglow.com/ and he loves it (no bugs) and at 2 amps per hour draw, would take a long time to kill one of your batterys :) He just changed out the gator clips for one of your standard lighter adapters and runs it right from his console.

Dave

I've got one that uses a halgon bulb with a green cover. Used it last October over the old fishing bridge rubble in Pensacola bay and we caught 13 red fish (none keepers) and four black tip sharks. Bait was so thick it was like a moving cloud around the light. If you haven't tried one of these I would advise you to get one and try it.

Back