Breaking The Ice, New 195dc Owner

Ron's 195DC

Participating Member
Hey There. Yep, I'm Breaking The Ice Here Guys. I'll Start Yapping About The New 195dc That Should Be Here In The Next Couple Of Weeks. As A Mainer, I'm Anxiously Awaiting Ice-out, But When She Arrives, I'll Travel As Far As Required To Find Open Water For The Maiden Voyage. I Read All The Threads Concerning Power. That Said, I Decided To Bite The Bullet And Go With The 150 4s Yamaha. Yep, If I'm Gonna Spend 30k, I Do Not Want Any Regrets Whatsoever. It Should Get Better Gas Milage And If Someone Wants To Ski, There Will Be No Problem. The Only Question Is Whether She'll Idle Down Slow Enough For Lake Trout Fishing With Lead Line Or Down Rigger. If Not I'll Try A Trolling Plate, At Least Initially. I Am Excited. I Considered A Grady White Tournament 19 And A Whaler Ventura 18, But At The End Of The Day, I Agree With All You Guys, These Triumph Boats Are The Most Bang For The Buck. I'll Keep You All Posted.

Welcome and congratulations on your 195. Don't forget to post some pictures when you get you boat.:)

Great boat! Congratulations Ron! And welcome aboard. ;)

Congrat's Ron, Your gonna love the boat. It will serve many purposes. Fish, Ski, Fish, Cruise and Fish! Best of luck, maybe I'll see you out on the the high seas of Maine! Ahh-Yuh!

M I M

You will probably be just a bit to fast for lake trout. I have a 215 with 150 yam and can not quite get slow enough. I put trim tabs all the way down and trim up motor to help some but would like to be a bit slower. I will put a trolling plate on or get a trolling sock this year. Where in Maine are you?

HI Barley, what is a trolling sock and how do you use it? I'm going to Canada and will need to troll slow for walleye fishing, about 1mph. I have a 170cc with 75hp etech and also can't quiet get that slow. I'm in Wiscasset, Maine.

I live in Hampden. How about you? I really like the new 195DC it's nice and deep. I think I'll try one of those Automatic Trolling plates, but I'll give her a shot first. Finding a place to mount the downrigger will be a bit of a challenge. By the way we got about 14" of white stuff today.

Elroy and Ron

A trolling sock ( I think that is the name) is just a heavy duty drift anchor but I think the trolling plate on the motor will work well even though you lose some control. I will try the trolling plate.

I am in Island Falls and also got about 12 inches of snow today. I guess spring is here.

I think i will try to mount down riggers in the rod holders on the gunnels. I think i can get a base made that will fit preety easy.

Ron,
Congratulations on the new 195DC. Love the new 195DC because of the extra depth especially for the kids. I have a 190DC with a 150HO on it. I'm not far from you in Ellsworth, I play on the Penobscot a lot when I am not bass fishing. I tried the drift/trolling sock and it didn't work for me still to fast. I could only get to about 2.5mph with it on the gps. Bought a trolling plate from Cabelas (Hydro troll) it works fine, didn't seem to lose any control either. Only problem is remembering to put it up before you take off, I should buy stock in the pins that hold it down. Tried the downrigger holder that fits into the rod holder last year the rod holder screws kept coming loose, I will mount it with the plate this year.

Here in Ellsworth we had 20in+ of snow and was still spitting snow this morning. What happened to spring?????

E.Wags

Hey guys. I hear what you are saying about the downrigger mounts. Not sure I'll be cutting holes into the side of the gunwalls to "thru bolt" the mount plate. I was also thinking of using the existing rod holders some how. I wonder if self tapping screws would do the trick? Probably sketchy at best. Hey in Cabelas, there's a new trolling plate that does not use shear pins, supposed to be automatic, must have monster springs. I also spend time on the penobscot striper fishing. I'm building a place on Beech Hill pond next year, but I already have a rolling dock there and a camper. Alright catch ya later, I'm praying for ice out. Hey Braley, how they biten' up at pleasant lake? I use to go to the birches campground for spring fishin and also ice fishin' haven't been there for awhile.

Hey Braley, how they biten' up at pleasant lake? I use to go to the birches campground for spring fishin and also ice fishin' haven't been there for awhile.

Hey Braley, Thanks for the tip on the trolling sock. I have seen sea anchors, but never heard them called trolling socks, and never thought about this application. I just ordered two from bass pro shop. Some of the info I have read state that if you use 2 off the bow{one on each side}the boat stays straighter and is easy to steer. Thanks again, Bob

If you want to thru bolt with out cuting holes inthe side of your gunnel it can be done with stainless steel togglers. I did that to mount my outrigger mounts. It is a bit of work. I had to bend a hack saw blade to be able to use it to cut the foam out from under the plastic where I wanted to mount the outrigger plate to make room for the togglers, but it works.

No Kidding? I was wondering about toggle bolts. What are we looking at 1/4" minimum holes? So you hollowed out the foam under the holes... that ought to work. Thanks alot K9Reno, that should do the trick.

Dick and Ron,
Thanks for reminding me about the togglers. I found pic's in the photo gallery where that was done, there are also pic's showing the removal of the foam using an allen wrench. These great if you like to see this visually like I do. Where can I fined SS togglers? I have look but can't find any that are the 1/4" I need for mounting the downrigger.
Thanks
Erik

I have mail ordered some that I have used. Forgot the site. The others I got at a local marina with a decent parts counter. I have only seen 1/4 20 stainless steel togglers. of course you have to drill a hole about 3/8 or 5/16 to put it into. Have fun it is a real treat working the foam out of the way :)

Dick,
Thanks for the info, I will call MM and see if they have them. The foam in my boat is about 2" from the top of the gunnels so I don't think I will have to remove any to mount the downrigger.

E.Wags

Back