C.A.'s Blog: Sea Trout Issue / New Regs, Why?

I was on the radio this morning discussing this very subject with Capt Mike on WFLA and "I" feel we need to fight fire with fire and work on making Sea Trout a Gamefish like we did with Redfish.

Even though the current REGs are working very well, this way by working on moving them to a Gamefish status, at least you then put in a even larger legal buffer to help offset some the insanity (like these purposed changes) that is going on these days.

Recreational Fishing in Florida is a multi-billion dollar (6 billion last I heard) business here and it is about time our "elected officials" fully woke up to this fact and quit trying to placate to the Commercial Fishing whims...

I fully agree. I have just become aware of this proposed change in sea trout regulations and have sent a message to the Florida Fish and Game.

Summary of Results of the FWC Vote on Spotted SeaTrout
  • There will be no commercial seine netting by-catch allowance for trout.

• The commercial season will be extended for hook and line and cast net trout fishing.

• The commercial hook and line and cast net limit has been upped to allow 150 trout with two commercial fishermen together in one boat.

• No year round sales of trout, (30 days after seasons' end sales acceptable).

• Season extensions: no more closed season for recreational anglers; extended commercial seasons from 3 to 5 months in the SW, SW and SE and 3 to 6 months in the NE.

CA's comment on the changes...

"Unfortunately, the new proposed Sea Trout regs were passed by the FWC Sadly, I have to report that the FWC passed the new regs on Sea Trout allowing for more commercial and recreational harvest. The only positive was that the ability to seine net trout was thrown out at the last minute but cast netting Sea Trout will still be allowed for licensed commercial interest. I encourage all inshore anglers to join the Snook & Gamefish Foundation and sign the petition to help gain the Sea Trout actual gamefish status before the fishery is in peril once again."

Back