AstroDiver

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Menlo
State
GA
Well, it was bound to happen. I finally whacked my Suzuki 115 after seven years on something in the lake. :eek:
We were thinking that someone hit a lake marker at night and broke it off. The only thing sticking up about 3-4 inches above the water was the post.
Never saw it, but heard and felt it. I have two holes in the left side of the lower unit, some of the horizontal plate broken off and a bunch of gouges. Hardly touched the hull of my boat. The holes are in the exhaust portion of the motor.

Since I needed to replace the water pump vane thing, this was a good excuse to drop the lower unit.
I'm thinking that some JB Weld will do the trick in patching the holes and rebuilding the broken and gouged areas? Anyone have any other ideas to a repair?
Thanks!

I think the JB Weld will work fine on the gouges (I've used it on mine after grounding a time or two), but it depends on what size holes we're talkin' about. If the holes are very big, you'd at least have to back with fiberglass cloth. Also, I'm not sure whether you're talking about holes in the plastic plastic or metal, but either way, I think there is probably an acceptable fix. You can get your Suzuki touch-up paint here Suzuki 0EP Shadow Black Metallic - ColorRite

Putershark has a nice write-up on skeg repair http://www.performanceoutdoors.net/forums/f36/low-budget-skeg-repair-6124.html which is what encouraged me to do the work on mine.

JB weld is good for gluing something together, but, not for making patches. As Mike stated, you may have to create a patch with fiberglass. If there is heat nearby, that will not work either. In that case, time to find a great aluminum welder to build up the site and repair it.

Back