Engine Hours Meter

Wade,
Most of us have added or had the dealer add an hour meter. You can get a generic brand, round,and in black or white to match your other guages for $20-$25.00 at boaters world or any other boat supply stores. I think its real simple to connect.Most of them have a ground wire and a positive wire.The + wire connects to your ignition switch hot wire so that it comes on only when you start the engine and stops when you cut off your engine. Hope this helps. Good luck.
JD

Engine Hour Meter

Yep, I added the exact one.

I'll take a photo later.

Basically, it is installed on the engine. I found a spot that doesn't interfear with the engine cowling.

It has it's own battery and a wire is wrapped around any spark plug wire. The meter senses the spark and starts timing. So, you always have an accurate number of hours. Some meters that mount in the dash will run if you leave the key switch in run mode, even though the engine is not running.

The battery is supposed to last 10 years. Then, throw away and get another meter.

Hour meter installed

See attached photo of Yamaha hour meter. The meter has a built in battery that is supposed to last 10 years. A wire wraps around a spark plug wire and attaches to the meter. When there is a spark, the meter runs.

Attachments

• Engine hour meter 1.jpg
    Engine hour meter 1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 55
Thanks Barry............It doesn't look like it could be much easier than that. How long have you had it installed?

Hour meter

Hi SW,

I installed it when I purchased the boat. It's been on the engine for about 3 months now. No problem at all. It has recorded about 21.? hours so far.

Back