Evinrude fuel problem q

kingzing

Registered Member
City
Indian Harbour Beach
I have a 2004 210 Chaos with a 150 evinrude direct inject. I took the boat out a few weeks ago and it seemed to idle fine, but as soon as I added some power (>3500-4000rpm) the engine started to stutter and then die, like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I was able to pump the primer bulb and get some fuel into the system and idle back to the dock. The bulb was not firm and took quite a few pumps to get fuel into the system.

I changed the fuel filter under the cowling, changed the primer bulb (other one looked old anyway), and added a fuel water separator between the tank and primer bulb.

I took the boat out again today and had the same issues. My friends were also out so I ventured a little farther from the dock and after pumping it a bit (after the engine died with the initial runup of the engine) The boat ran well. The primer bulb looked like it was being sucked in on the engine side of the bulb. We went and had lunch and had the same problem one more time, but not the third time we started the boat. Any ideas on what to look for next?

Thanks,
TJ

Attachments

• CIMG0020.jpg
    CIMG0020.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 21
Sounds like a plugged fuel filter OR fuel / water separator that has a lot of water in it. Where is the bulb in relation to the fuel filter? Before or after the bulb?

TJ,
Check all of the simple fixes first.It's trying to pull more fuel than it can get.See if you've got a pinched fuel line somewhere.Check the vent on your fuel tank.Make sure you don't have a dirt dobber's nest in it.See if you can blow into it easily with the gas cap off.You may have a fuel line collapsing inside. Change your fuel lines from the tank to the engine.Hope its simple.Good luck.Let us know what it was.
John D.

Putershark- I thought that at first too, but added a filter in line between the tank and primer bulb and also changed the fuel water filter on the engine.

When I open the little cover by the fuel fill I see two hoses inside. One is quite large and I assume that is for the gas. I assume the other is the fuel vent. How do I make sure this is clear? Just undo it and blow air through?

thanks,
TJ

TJ,
I saw your other post.If you can undo it and blow through it that will insure that its clear.
JD.

The Triumph dealer thought that it was probably the fuel line that was causing the problem....It was very spongey and broken down. They replaced that from the tank to the engine. took it out today and had the same issues...Going to the engine mechanic tomorrow I guess.... (my Triumph dealer doesn't really work with Evinrudes...)

Even easier, borrow someone's portable fuel tank and attach directly to the engine. If you still have a problem, you have eliminated the fuel system before the motor. It then must be the motor.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I took the boat to my triumph dealer and they replaced the fuel lines from the tank to the engine and the boat seemed to run fine (at idle, which was never a problem.) I got it back into the water a day later and same problem....so i limped back to shore.

Took it to my engine shop and got a call form the mechanic. The plugs were fouled pretty bad and waaaay out of gap. He replaced the plugs and tested the gas and put some injector cleaner in the tank. He water tested it and said that it seemed to run flawlessly.

I went ahead and did the water pump and lower unit lube and had the oil lines replaced as well. Hopefully when I get back into town on tuesday it will be nice enough to get out on the water myself and make sure its all good :).

TJ

Back