EZ Loader oil bath hubs...

Jan from Humboldt

Contributing Member
My boat trailer came with the oil bath hubs and I was wondering about how to get the clear plastic hub covers off so I can service the hubs when it's needed.

The question(s) are, do they just a press fit into the hub or are they threaded and screw in. Also what weight of oil is recomended for these hubs?

Theres A Set Screw In The Side Of The Hub. Turn The Wheel Until You Find It.remove And Let The Oil Run Out Into A Pan. It Was Suggested By Someone On This Site To Replce Oil With Amsoil Synthetic Marine Lower Gear Oil.i Think Thats Good Advise. Hope This Helps You. Bill

I got that part ok, but in case I need to get to the nut that holds the hub on I still need to know how that clear plastic cap is removed.

A word of advice to those that read this, pull those plugs and reinsert them so you know they will come out and then pack the top of the allen socket in the plug with heavy grease to keep it from rusting solid.

You'll need to pull the wheels off the trailer to do that so grease the lug studs too so they will come out when needed.

EZLoader Trailers ...

Jan,
I found some of the answers to your questions in the owner's manual that came with my trailer. Fortunately, the Triumph dealer I dealt with included it in the "stuff" that came with the 190 Bay that I recently purchased. For reference , I included a link to the EZLoader manual (below). Just in case this link doesn't work for you, the answers (in brief) are as follows: from page 26 -
"SAE 50W or 90W gear oil can be used in the oil bath and can be mixed if necessary"
"If the cap has to be removed it can be unscrewed using the correct sized socket."
per chart bottom of page 26: All 5 lug Wheels = 2 3/8 inch (6 point socket)
: All 6 lug Wheels = 2 7/8 inch (6 point socket)

link to EZLoader owner manual:
http://www.ezloader.com/Manual.asp

One more thing, ..being new to boating, trailering, etc., I had several frustrating moments at the lauch site when the trailer brakes would lock up (the disk brakes worked VERY well at these inopportune times) whenever I attempted to back up the rig. The ONE THING NOT MENTIONED IN THE MANUAL is that this particular model trailer has an electric solenoid for overiding the surge brakes. The solenoid is engaged when the vehicle is placed in the REVERSE gear (this requires a backup lights connection to the tow vehicle). This feature works well but the trailer electrical connector must remain connected (duh). I still get out and disconnect JUST BEFORE the trailer enters the water, but NOW not until. ;)
For my next trick, ...I'll be studying hard to back this thing up WHERE I WANT IT TO GO! But that's another story...... :rolleyes:

Outstanding!

Thanks a bunch for the info and the link, it's exactly wht I was looking for.

I agree that backing trailers can be fun, I've been doing it for years and every now and then I'll get in a big hurry and suffer a brainfart and it gets interesting. Lol. And it's always at the ramp with lots of witnesses.

Hey Lunches,

Why are you disconnecting your trailer lights when you launch? If it is so you don't pop the bulbs when they encounter cold water, then my question is; why aren't your lights sealed? Mine are and they don't let any water in - I never disconnect.

If you are having a problem I think you should look at LED lights that won't burn out even if they do get wet because they are not bulbs. However, I'd still be concerned about corroding the electrical contacts if your lights are leaking and you launch in salt water. Salt eats everything.

Good boating,

woodNfish

woodNfish,

Guess I still don't have faith in the sealing and waterproofing, ... live by the 'ol adage "...'tis better to be safe than sorry".

Thanks for the tip, it's reassuring to hear that you haven't had any problems,
I'll give it a try.

My 2006 EZ loader trailer has a lever on the tongue that allows you to disengage the brakes while backing.

I have the ez loader trailer for my 17cc and I found out those allen head screws are not of good quality,hard to reach with an allen head wrench very easily,and strip easily also. thge tip on covering with grease semms like a good idea, I am going to do that with mine today!

Back