2006 EZ loader dual axle

Hakuna Matata

Participating Member
City
Capitol Heights
Just wanted to post a few of the problems I'm having with my trailer to see if anyone else is experiencing anything similar.

About a month ago while trailering I noticed the smell of hot/burning tires while stopped at a light. When I reached the boat lot I realized that the smell was coming from both tires on the rear axle(the ones with brakes). I jacked up the trailer and was able to spin both wheels freely so I thought that the heat came from excessive braking. Oil level in each hub was correct.

So I go fishing on Christmas eve and make it about thirty miles from my house and look in the side mirror and see smoke from the passenger side of the trailer. I pull over and find a fluid pouring down the inside of the rotor and bottom half of the brake calipher. I assume that the calipher has ruptured internally( it's still o'dark thirty) so I turn around and trailer the thirty miles back to home base. I finally get around to inspecting the trailer today and immediately notice that there is no oil level in the hub. I remove the wheel and brake calipher (which is a litttle rusty but otherwise OK) and spin the hub to check the bearing and it sounds like something is grinding in there. Added correct level of oil and this did not change the sound at all.

I contacted EZ Loader by e-mail and should get a response by the first week of the year. Hopefully the parts will be covered under warranty.

Has anyone else experienced bearing failure or excessive heat with their trailer hubs?

-JB

I have had the same trouble. I have replaced all four tires now. The rear rims got so hot that the tire exploded while stopped. I just had the trailer service (repacking/oil) when it occured. The tire shop said the breaks may have remain locked up and heated the rim up. It happened again the next month to the other side. Let me know if you get anything. I still don't know why the front tires blew out.

I heard back from EZ-loader after they returned from vacation and they didn't have a problem sending me parts, but prefered me taking the trailer to the dealer for service. Well, my dealer is 80 miles from my house so I took it to another dealer about 20 miles away. I limped down the road at 40 MPH and dropped the boat off. Turns out that I had one bad bearing(rear passenger) and they changed all the seals and caps. I'm going to order extra bearings and seals for each hub, just in case.

-JB

Glad to hear you're "back in business". Things like that happen...that's a good idea to have spare parts on hand just in case.

Tight lines.

Well, my trailer is down again. The brakes got so hot that the starboard rear wheel lost its inner seal again. Dropped it off at the same EZ-loader dealer I took it to the first time. I specifically asked them to do a thorough inspection on the brakes as recommended by EZ-loader support staff when I contacted them about it. Will report something when I hear back from them.

-JB

Back in business/ Mucho respecto for EZ loader

Picked up my boat today for the second time. The first time they changed the starboard brake calipher. After about 12 miles of driving and using a little brake as I could, I looked in the side mirror ans say blue smoke billowing from the rear axle. Pull over and worked my way to the back of the boat(I could smell the tires from the heat and I was afraid they would explode) and found that the oil bath seal have blown again. Limped back down the road and dropped it off. When I get to the shop the mechanic who worked on the trailer was waiting there for me. We talked about what happened and they promised to get EZ-loader involved.

I talked to the mechanic today, he said that EZ-loader did the work themselves and they replaced the brake lines and the coupler. He also said that they took it for a road test and he was confident in the repair.

The ride back to the boat lot went smoothly. I was finally able to tow the boat without worrying about being caught at a stoplight. When I reached the boat lot the brakes were cool like I hadn't even been driving, nice work guys.

Also wanted to send a special thank you to EZ loader because even though this problem had been going on for awhile now, the trailer has actually been out of warranty for maybe a month.

-JB

Glad to hear another vendor backing their product past the standard warranty period. I think many of them are starting to finaly realize, that with the power of the Internet in the hands of everybody now..., That finding out about both good and poor service, is as simple as typing in the correct "search" words in the Google Tool bar ;)

Back