Genelie

Recognized Leader and Retriver Guru
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Lakeside
State
Ca
Okay this is for the smart boys out there....I have a general idea...just need clarification. I know a standard fish finder has it's transducer for sending signals down and picking up bottom structures and possible fish. So I hear about sounders..these are small black boxes..are they a separate devise for the same purpose, or a enhancer??????

Sounder

You'll hear the term "sounder" used interchangeably with fish finder and sonar in most instances. The "sounder" portion of GPS/Fish Finder combo units is that portion of the unit that translates the transducer signal into useful screen content, rather like a TV that has built in tuner. So you'll see advertisements that say they are GPS/Sounder or GPS/FF combinations, pretty much the same thing. The components are the same regardless of the emphasis placed on the various items, fish, structure, bottom detected.

The black box sounder is an add-on, rather like a cable box when your TV does not not have its own digital tuner, that provides translation, like in the combo boxes, of transducer signal to a compatible display. Or it can act as a hub to provide signal from the transducer to all the compatible displays in a network on a boat like those supported by Lowrance, Garmin, Raymarine etc.

I knew someone here could tell me that....thanks again...:)

Always look real hard at network "bundles". They are usually much cheaper than buying all the componants separately.

At the time I was doing my electronics, I was doing one by one, due to the fact i could not afford a the multi purpose electronics....Oh well, I was going to upgrade my gps anyway......so Randy's 1724 looks very promising....

It looks like Furuno has just added another option for the Navnet2 system. Sirrus Satellite Weather. That will be cool. :cool:

Back