Flying Solo

M

msbudd

Hi Guys

Guess what? Kicked him to the curb...and I kept the boat....2001 210cc...I packed the coolers and lunch and relied on him to run the boat.....

SO WHAT DO I DO NOW.......GIVING UP FISHING IS NOT AN OPTION.

I took it out on my maiden voage and didn't sink it....how empowering was that.....am still getting the trailoring thing down pat....thank God I don't have to take it too far.

Did remember to check all plugs before launching...safety checks..and so forth....
had planned to go out today....but I left the nav lights on ....and you guessed it....so now I own my own charger.....(my new collection of Craftsman and such has become my pride and joy)..
I currently keep my boat dry docked in Onancock, Va...on the Eastern Shore. I live in Northern ,NJ Monday thru Thursday.....

So far I've seen no other females Captaining thier own boats...but if there are any out there PLEASE give me a SHOUTOUT....But fellow Logic owners please be patient and kind to a novice boater....as I'm sure leaving my lights on will not be the only foolish thing that I'm going to do.....and I know from what I've been reading here that there is a wealth of knowledge and help available from you all.....

BTW
I enrolled in Boatsmart to get some techniical skills along with a Coast Guard certification.
Thanks for being here
Msbudd

Deep 6ed the dude and kept the boat SMART LADY :D and Welcome Aboard! We are here for you Sis and feel free to post any question not matter how dumb (no such thing) it sounds and we will help you out :)

I would read over Osprey Vic launching tips and adapt them to your needs. I would also recommend you create a simple check list and use the list to help save on brain bandwidth with sections on what needs doens before leaving the house, before putting n the water (like unhooking the trailer lights) and the such like ;)

If anything, the biggest mistake I see most people make is dunking the trailer in the water too deep thus launching and recovery is harder much less, trailer maintenance suffers... If you get it at the correct depth you can drive it off and on much easier :cool:

Stay Safe!

MsBudd,
Welcome aboard! As one of my favorite country songs says: "It's nice to find a little spice in the sugar!"

Please feel free to ask any queston at all. We all had to start somewhere. You've taken the right steps in getting training and safe boater certification. If I may make a suggestion, hook up your boat, find an empty parking lot and practice backing and cornering until you get the feel of it. It won't take long.

Good luck and good fishing.

On backing the boat the one thing I found that helped me learn was to hold the steering wheel at the bottom. That way all you have to do is move you hand the way you wnat the back of the boat to go. and a little movment goes a long way.

Congrats on YOUR new boat! :D

Left something electrical on? Been there done that...dead battery! Did that a couple of years ago and launched it with a friend on board. She could not get it started. So, we got a jump start from another boater. I went and bought some l o n g jumper cables for the boat per her recomendation.
I put the offending radio on a seperate power switch. See my 'Tool Box Stereo' posted in the photos section.

Doing the parking lot manuvers is a good idea. Just remember to swing wide on all of your turns.

Take your time learning the boat and how it manuvers and functions.

Safety courses are not required here in GA. But I took and passed the courses offered for SC, GA and TN. I can tell that some people don't have a clue about rules, so don't assume everyone has taken a course.

Post some photos of your boat and any projects, when you get a chance.

welcome,
Glad to hear you are getting certified, and taking class's. There are a lot of folks who do not, and cause issues on the water. CUDOOO's to you .:D
Putershark made a good point on making a check list, you will find one here on one of our posts, as well as backing tips...infact you will find most any question asked and answered here on this site. Use it to your advantage...and good boating to you.

welcome aboard to your owner's site . as the guys have said above most every question you may have has been already asked by someone before you and in time you will be able to give input to future new owners as well!
having the same year and model logic as you ,i would request you to read over the 210 logic section in the logic boats forum. our early models have unique issues that dont pertain to the newer models and it is recommended reading . having written most of these posts, feel free to message me with any question or comment and i will happy to respond.
again welcome from the greatest bunch of folks i've had the pleasure of getting to know.

robert

MsBudd -- Hooray for you!! Us females are definitely a minority out there, both at the boat ramp and out on the water. All I can say is PRACTICE. Your local US Power Squadron also gives some informative classes, check them out.
These days, my darling hubby and I share the responsibilities, but I'm still the captain of my ship, and I don't need his permission to say so. :)

Back