AstroDiver

Contributing Member
Lifetime Member
Premium Member
City
Menlo
State
GA
Back over a month ago my Garmin Fish Finder 160 Blue's screen died.:( I could turn the unit on but there would be no display showing. I could press the power button again a see along the edges of the screen that the illumination light was on, high & low power.

I did some trouble shooting with advice from Garmin and got a Return number from them just in case. I had power of 12.6 volts at the cannon plug. I also had continuity to ground.

So, it was time to send the unit off to Garmin. I packed it up and sent it back along with a check for $89 that would cover any repairs.

I got the unit back yesterday with a Service Report.
Unit Discrepancy: "will not power up".
Repair summary: "Unit meets operational performance specifications. Could not transfer waypoint data from customer's unit. Exchanged unit from S/N 532***81 to S/N 532***90. Unit passes all tests and is operating within normal limits. Thank you for choosing GARMIN!"

They send me an exchange unit and returned my check on top of that!! :D I bought this unit back in the Spring of 2003 after I had bought my boat. It was way out of warranty and they made it good! I sure like Garmin.:eek:

I not sure what the "Could not transfer waypoint data..." had to do with my Fish Finder. It doesn't have GPS. It only took about 1 1/2 weeks to get the unit back. Once you get through, they are real helpful over the phone too.
I once had problems figuring out how to download the software to my GPS unit's card and they talked me through it over the phone.

I've been happy with Garmin too.

Send them a thank you Email as they don't hear the attaboys nearly enough.

I also have garmin and found them to be helpful when needed. I had a problem with a data card and they sent me a new one with no info or proof of purchase. I would buy garmin again.

Also have had no problems with contacting a "live" person that can give instr with software. Excellent customer service in my experience too.

I hope I have the same results as all of you did. I've got a 240 Blue that started having problems keeping in contacted with the bottom. Would show bottom then start flashing and show nothing. Had a marine electronics shop look at it and was told the internal processor was shot. Have contacted Garmin by e-mail and will also be giving them a call. Bought the unit in 04 so it is also out of warranty.

Did the same thing for me. Said my old unit was working fine, but sent me a replacement new one. Ended up having to replace a fried transducer.

Back