gasoline for winterizing

Machipongo

Registered Member
Help! I'm hearing al kinds of conflicting information on what I should do with the gasoline in the tank when it's time to winterize the boat and also when I'm not running the boat for long periods of time such as every 6-8 weeks. Responses have ranged from add Startron and/or Stabile and fill tank all the way up to add Startron and run gas dry until engine stops. This relates to both condensation and phase separation. Does anyone know the correct answer?
Thanks,
Mike

On a boat with an inboard engine I usually get the gas tank as low as possible and add fuel treatment-conditioner at about double recomnended mixture.
I then run the motor long enough to get the treated fuel in the carb. In the spring I fill up with fresh fuel.
On a outboard I do the same but unhook the fuel line after a while and run the motor out of gas.

On my 191 I leave what ever amout of gas is in it full/almost empty (but never empty because of all the crap that forms ont the bottom) doesn't matter and put some some sta-bil as directed on the bottle.. Make sure you get the new sta-bil marine formula. It combats the effects of ethonal. Run the motor for a little bit to get the gas/stabil mix into the motor. I actually put in stabil on every other tank of gas. it does good things for you motor and the cost is pretty cheap for a attive.

Also make sure to pull you spark plugs and fog the motor.

HTR

I fill the tank and add Stabil. Ethanol sucks water vapors form the air into the gas: the less air in the tank, the better for this "better" gas. At least that is what I have read.

Ethanol Issues

That is a post from last year that has a short paragraph regarding storing ethanol-blended gasoline long-term

Basically the short version is:

Best Option: Empty Tank, add Startron and Stabil at storage doses to left over fuel.

Next best Option: Fill tank, add Startron and Stabil at storage doses.

Worst Option: Leave tank Partially filled, additives will help little.

Hope it helps

First off, start with a quality brand of fuel that will go a long way in helping fend off issues. I run Chevron 93 Octane in mine and also use Startron in each tank which helps for the times during the hottest periods of the year (like now) that it sets for several weeks on end ;)

Here is more information on the subject from the guys who make the stuff :)
Chevron Products: Fuel School Answers

Chevron Products: Browse Fuel School Topics

Back