gps combo sonar

catchem

Registered Member
so many choices so little info. What might one realy need to see the bottom contor and a school of bait fish. to find a spot on the map with gps?Cost from $350.00 to thousands they seem to be very much alike . what might one look for to get the job done.

wattage..the more the better your reading....I have a Foruno 582L it has 600 watts (rms) works awesome

All I know is I have a Humminbird that came with the boat and I think it stinks at speed. I am not sure how accurate it is any other time either. It is a somewhat cheapie... I think new it was around $200 or so. I have been looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 498 ($750 or so) and the Lowrance LMS-337 ($699). I have thought about saving and spending more, but I think it depends on how you boat/fish and where you do. I fish in my local lake all year except 3 weeks or so on the coast (best part of my fishing year!). So it is hard for me to justify anymore money, although to get what I really want, and possibly much more than I need, I would spend around $1600.

I think I am going to set a budget and find what I can best live with for that. It is just like a TV, I want a big display... but can't afford it.

Garmin GPSMap 498 is nice...and a good deal at West

At least it sure seemed so to me. They were selling them for $919 until early October when they dropped the price to $719. These units have a really nice chartplotter built into a large screen GPS unit with all of the US coastal maps pre-loaded. I drove to Delaware to avoid MD's sales tax and....lo and behold...the only unit in stock was the demo. Another $72 off for a pristene unit with all of the docs.....box, etc.

Long learning curve, for myself at least as I've not got anyone close by to show me the ropes.

i have a garmin 498c and it is great. Nice clean crisp picture. It has saved me a few times off the coast of maine when the fog comes in. The fishfinder also works well. can't see not having one and it's worth the money. chech gps.com it had the best price.

Yea, they are not that cheap anymore... :)

But I am glad to hear that folks like it. Anyone else have one they want to talk about? I know there are fans of Raymarine and Furuno here, which are really nice but do not fall into the sub $1000 category.

This thread really should be in the Electronics area, not sure if someone can move us or if anyone really cares. I was going to pose this same question in here a fwe days ago and then realized last night that there was an Electronics area... :) Not criticizing at all, just sharing info.

I think Dave the Putershark beat me to it. :p The thread has been moved to the electronics forum. Thanks for thinking of this. As Dave has said before if we can add relevant info for searching to the titles of our threads/posts and put them in the forums that fit the subject, it will be much easier for folks to find the information they are looking for. :)

Yep, moved it with some others last night ;)
Matter of fact, I spend a lot of time sorting posts and feel many times like a card dealer! Ha-Ha... Not always easy to find the correct fit, but if everybody would also limit their questions to one per thread (we don't about the number of threads created :p) it would make that job a lot easier for sure :D

Thanks again!

Timagaination
"Long learning curve, for myself at least as I've not got anyone close by to show me the ropes."

If you have any questions they folks at Garmin can be really helpful.
I had some problems loading my GPSMAP unit with software :confused: and with a phone call to Garmin, they talked me through the process. Sometimes the instruction manual is not "computer dummy" friendly. :(

You have just got to find some time and sit down and 'play' with the unit. At least you are lucky and have all of the maps built in! I get the joy of paying more money anytime I want to add another Blue Chart map to what I have.;)

Have fun!

Yes the folks at Garmin are very good at phone support, in my limited experience. I called them in relation to a topic that Fattiresc probably already knows about, the GPSMap 498 does have an enormous database built into the unit of all of the most current coastal charts imagineable, but there is a limit to how far upstream you can navigate and still get information and to my knowledge, there is no chartage whatsoever of inland lakes.

I purchased the AC adapter w/PC connectivity hookup and it is a very worthwhile investment, I think, if you're going to buy something as complicated as this, unless you're extremely well versed in all of the functions already. I've spent hours exploring coastal areas all over the US, most places I've never been to but.........

I discovered a somewhat disturbing peculiarity to the way the charts adjoin one another at the headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay, particularly where the Elk and North East Rivers, having diverged, both tend northwards beyond the western end of the C&D canal. If you're not zoomed in to a range of .3NM or less, you simply run into "uncharted" territory.....major landmasses still show in outline, but that's it. It would seem that some sort of legend on-screen, similar to Google Map's notice that..... "high resolution photography is not available at this zoom level" might avert discomfit such as mine, thinking that I had somehow deleted something I was supposed to already own.

It was funny because it took the Garmin guy a few minutes of fooling around on his own GPS unit to duplicate what it was that I was seeing, and as soon as he did he too was surprised that all of the detail simply ended.

I think that the data cards that extend the coverage to rivers and lakes are about $200.

Standard Horizon makes outstanding units and worth a look.
Integrated VHF-mapping-Sonar and software enabled to handle DSC plotting.
Waterproof and dependable for the price, especially in the combination units.

So with the 498 and this new g2 mapping, you dont have to buy any coastal maps after you buy the unit? It is "for once" all included?

yep that is right no need to buy any US coastal maps and it also hooks up to all kind of stuff. I could have gone cheaper but would of had to pay later to get more charts and there not cheap. Good luck whaterever you choose, the name brand ones are all pretty good, but I'm very happy with my garmin

Yeah, all this and more.........

Yes it's true that ALL of the coastal charts for North America are pre-loaded on the Garmin GPSMap 498, but what you wouldn't necessarily expect is the amount of detail that's included and the various additions such as full information about every marina, ramp, fuel dock etc. that is depicted on the charts. Also tide and current information for all of the conventional reporting stations as well as astronomical information on sunrise, sunset, moonrise and moonset.......all reportable based on the nearest station or "current location".

Wow

That almost seems to good to be true. That will most likely make my decision for me. I am assuming you can still add the Fishing Hot Spots maps to them with another card or something...

Installed the 3206 Garmin network with xmwx weather on Bay 190 this past spring. Really helped dodge storms and check sea conditions, etc. Easy install, and BlueCharts fishing spots etc transfer easily. Buy the usb card programming kit.
VIT Electronics had the best prices and are friendly and helpful.

Both my vhf's are StandardHorizon, waterproof and durable after several years in saltwater, sun etc.

thanks for all the info .I pick up a garmin498 at west marine. got lucky they haveing a store closing sale 10 to 30 % off every thing in store . lanham maryland store now thru nov 5th.

I have a Standard Horizon CP-175 with the FF550 Black Box Sounder. I love them. This CP's macros is super user friendly as well as C-Map MAX charts.

I only payed $1,200 for them including a 50/200 transom mount Triducer.

Only one store in Atlanta is closing. The whole shopping center will be torn down....they had no choice. That was a good store...my favorite!
They were going to close the store on the access road off I-85 North but had to switch up when the lease wouldn't be re-newed for the BOAT US store.

They are now discounting the special tags at 50% off the marked price.
I shopped for Xmas cause they have things in there, like canvas bags, that can be used for other stuff other than boating.
I got 5 spools of the 2-3mm cord real cheap!

Back