Lowrance GPS connection to VHF Radio for DSC

Thfireman

Participating Member
City
Charlotte
I have a Lowrance LMS 522c GPS Plotter/ Sonar combo unit and a Midland Regatta 2 VHF radio with the DSC system that sends your location to Coast Guard in a rescue situation. To make it work I have to connect 2 wire connection on the VHF to the Lowrance GPS. It is this point that has me baffled as to how this is done. The NMEA 2000 network cable has something to do with it but I dont understand what I need to make this connection. Can anyone tell me what is needed to get this thing put togather?

Thanks, Roger

I'll see if I can find an answer for your Roger. Have you tried contacting the Lowrance online tech support? When I was putting my Furuno system together their online support was very helpful.

OK, From what I gather there is the Orange and Yellow Data wires coming from the power connector. Those connect to the 2 wires on the VHF. The NMEA 2000 is not what I use. It wont transfer the data. I will try that and let you know if it works. Thanks NCangler.

Hey Guys, this is an easy fix.

Coming out of the back of the lowrance unit, you should have one cable that has 4 wires in it. I believe they are blue, orange, yellow and shield. The only wires that you will need are the yellow and shield. The yellow is nmea out and shield is the ground. Find the gps input wires on the back of the vhf. One should be a GPS (in) and there should be a wire that says ground. Take the yellow wire and connect it to the gps (in) on the vhf and take the shield wire and connect it to the ground wire on the back of the vhf.

Once you've done that, turn your lowrance on and hit menu, then system setup, then communication, then check nmea out.

That should take care of everything. Give me a call if you have any questions. 919-732-7377

Chad at Merritt Marine in Hillsborough, NC

Thanks a million Chad. I will hook it up in the morning and see if it works for me. Thats the help I was needing and well explaned. Thanks!
Roger

OK, Im going to have to call you Monday. I hooked it up like you said and nothing happened. I switched wires around and nothing. I put it back like you said and then keyed down on the mike (No real reason except curiosity) and got a loud feedback sqeal. Call you

Could you let us know how this worked out? I have a similar situation with a Lowrance 522 and a Standard Horizon PS 2000.

Thanks

Could you let us know how this worked out? I have a similar situation with a Lowrance 522 and a Standard Horizon PS 2000.

Thanks

I gave up working with it until I got back from my trip to the coast. Now it has been raining so I still havent messed with it again. Right now I have it unhooked due to the feedback and it wasnt working for me anyway. I need to call merrit and talk to them.

Back