help and thoughts

ddesrochers

Registered Member
City
South Carver
I have a suzuki 140 df and just yesterday I noticed it smoking out the hole next to the pilot hole. This was after riding it on a lake for about 45 minutes. I notice the smoke when I was going slow to the dock. I never noticed this before and I am sure I would have. The pump stream is strong but The water was quite warm when the smoke issue was happening. I let the motor rest overnight and started it up in the morning. The s pump steam was fine and no smoke for a few minutes the it started again. I am taking it into the dealer today but I was wondering if anyone had anythoughts to what may have happened. No warnings came on and the oil level is fine. I am a novice with engines so I couldn't do much more than check that.

Was it smoke as in oil or something of that nature?or was it just steam or similar to your breath in the winter time? You mentioned that you ran it steady for 45 minutes prior to seeing the "smoke".If it was steamy looking and not very concentrated it was probably just the engine being warm. Your automobile exhaust will do the same thing on a cool morning. Take a look at other boats when you are on the water and see what goes on with their motors,etc. You can learn a lot from just hanging out at a busy boat ramp for a few minutes.Good luck.
John D

How about a photo?

Hi DD,

Could you take a picture of the area the smoke comes out of with someone point at the hole?

On my Yamaha, there is a "pee" hole used to indicate that water is being pumped by the impellor. There are also two exhaust ports that water comes out of. That water is hot compaired to the water coming out of the "pee" hole which is cold.

Picture

I can take a picture but it is fairly simple. It is next to the pilot hole or "Pee Hole" . It may have been steam like mentioned but I had never seen it before so I got worried. Like I said I am new and every little thing I get worried about for me it was a big investment. I brought it in to be looked at just in case but they didn't think it was a big deal.

Okay, You're Probably Fine

DD,

There probably is no problem. Do you feel any exhaust come out of the holes with the water? If so, everything is normal.

You may want to go to the local library and check out a beginner book on power boating. Little homework will go a long way.

I have had a similar occurance on my 9.9 Suzuki. The smoke comes out of the above water exhaust vent as far as I can tell and usually occurs when the motor is hard to start. Push the start button and if it doesn't catch some smoke will come out. It could be steam, but truthfully I find it hard to lean over the transom that far to put my face right up to it and smell what it really is. The pee stream on mine is always hot, not cold. I haven't had the motor serviced since purchased seven years ago. Maybe It's time to order some parts and take it apart. This could be like my Honda lawnmower which smokes until the choke is let off. Both my lawnmower and Suzuki are carburated so this may be a rich mixture with the choke on and not a fair comparison to your EFI 140.Also, no warnings came on and all is well with the engine except it dies if trolled too slow (dead idle) and has done this since new. Truthfully, I haven't fully investigated this gremlin by leaning over the transom and sticking my face in this smoke for fear of passing out from carbon monoxide poisoning. Furthermore, have you seen Mercury's Verado commercial with the two guys in the old boat with an old two stroke motor that is too loud and too fast to troll with? Anyway, the Mercury Verado is trolling nice and slow and quiet but if you look at the motor it is smoking or steaming out of the above water exhaust while trolling. Does this look like your situation? It seems like a good idea to order the tech manual per Suzuki's suggestion so I can figure it out myself since my dealer for this motor is out of business and no one around here services them.

Probably shouldn't drink and post since I repeated a line in the above reply.Oh well it's friday night, cheers! Drinking for a lightweight like me is safer on the MAC than on the water or the road (don't have to compete with all the other drink nursers out there.

Back